• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Common Parts that Go Bad

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
I am calling on the wealth of knowledge people have with these great vehicles. I would like to know in your experience what are some common parts that need replacement with the XJ's.

I have a damaged 94 XJ in my driveway that I will be needing to get rid of soon. So I want to know what I should be salvaging off of it before it gets hauled away. I have a 90 XJ so it would be parts that are interchangable within those years.

I have a intact rear driveshaft and many good parts on this thing. I know this isn't the sellers forum. But if anyone is interested in XJ parts in Southern CA let me know. I am in Anaheim. For some reason I can't post in the for sale forum.

So what are your common problems with your XJ?

94 and 90 are basically the same, almost all if not all parts are 100% interchangable. I don't know of any that are not.

What rear axel is on the donor and which on your 90. Pull the transfer case, if you dont need it somebody else will buy it? Slightly newer tranny might be nice.

CPS
TPS
Starter
Alturnater
Idler pully
Radiator
axle shafts
drive shafts
transfercase
Hoses
Belt

I could go on forever

basically none of the engine electronics are the same between those two years. so scratch CPS, TPS, and Alternator off that list. umm, radiator wont work either.
so take the TC, the trans is the same for the most part.

Last edited:
There are actually quit a few differences, the throttle body is different and so is the TPS. It is a high output so that might have something to do with that. The alternator is a good idea. I've already made use of the starter, when mine recently went bad.

One of the things that was damaged in the accident was the transfer case, all busted up. But it does have a SYE installed in it that I want to figure out how to take out and put in my 90 eventually.

There are actually quit a few differences, the throttle body is different and so is the TPS. It is a high output so that might have something to do with that. The alternator is a good idea. I've already made use of the starter, when mine recently went bad.

One of the things that was damaged in the accident was the transfer case, all busted up. But it does have a SYE installed in it that I want to figure out how to take out and put in my 90 eventually.

It's a HO that has everything to do with it. The alternator will not hook up.

Parts that go bad:
Water pump
PS pump
Exhaust manifold (94 fit on 90?)
Dana 35 rear axle. If the 94 has a 8.25 rear axle, grab it!
Swap to the 94's open radiator/cooling system?
Seatbelts
Blower motor

Good luck. I am in Fullerton and I am building a 90 too.

I was in the same position a few years back with a fully equipped donor vehicle that had a small problem - it had been rolled by the po ;)

I used the vehicle as a learning experience and stripped it down to the unibody - every nut and bolt. I threw away the interior which was trashed and sold off the engine, transfer case, axles, etc and made 800 bucks or so. In retrospect it was a mistake because later I needed to buy a lot of those same parts back: an 8.25 axle, 231 for a rebuild, leafs for a bastard pack, aluminum rims to upgrade my new XJ's steelies, etc. (doh!) So you might want to pick a small section of your side-yard and store whatever might be useful later.

The unibody I simply sawzalled and threw into a dumpster.

Food for thought...

94 and 90 are basically the same, almost all if not all parts are 100% interchangable. I don't know of any that are not.

What rear axel is on the donor and which on your 90. Pull the transfer case, if you dont need it somebody else will buy it? Slightly newer tranny might be nice.

Along with the engine electronics being different, I believe the spline count on the tranny and transfercase are different also.

[I]Originally Posted by 93gc40
94 and 90 are basically the same, almost all if not all parts are 100% interchangable. I don't know of any that are not.[/I]

I don't think the HO head will even seal up on the '90 block - it needs plugs for the coolant passages.

The front grille trim is likely quite different, too - but that's the point, you can sell off a lot of body parts for a profit.

Jeeps are quite the same as many others - every year sees changes, and every few years, major changes. The 87 to 90 are a group, the 91-96 a similar group, etc.

It's the quickest way to tell if someone has a good grasp of what XJ's are all about - just read about how their XX year has a whatzit and how to fix it when the OP's model never had it.

Hallo. I had the first few years problems with the rear mainseal leak and the vibration damper (crankshaft pulley).
And don't forget the headlight switch. All not so bad for a '92 XJ.
Most of the parts you can better buy new. :D

Last edited:
Back