• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beginner fabber

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Just starting off in fabrication. So far I have built a bumper and a set of rock sliders, using a 4 1/2 grinder and a lincoln welder. I am happy with the results, it just takes so damn long to cut with the grinder. I am looking at getting either a ban saw or a chop saw. Which would be my best bet for light fab work nothing larger the 1/4 inch thick or bigger than a 2x4. Thanks for the help

Harbor Freight chop saw. It has helped us build many things, its cheap and gets the job done.

On the pricey-er side is the Milwaukee steel cutting circular saw (about $280 IIRC)... like butter and fast too. It leaves a clean sharp edge. I bought mine at Northern Tools.

I hear good things about the HF band saw. I want to get one soon but most definately change the blade out for something quality.

Yeah our HF band saw does ok, a little slow but like you said maybe a quality blade would change that.

Overall though, i feel like there are parts on it that are cheaply made (kinda a no brainer though) If i wouldnt have gotten it for free i probably wouldnt be using it.

Start with the basics, buy a chop saw and use it for years until you kill it. The blades are cheap and you can cut thick steel or thin whatever. No matter what tools you will ever have in your shop you will probably always have a chop saw in your shop.

A chop saw is nice.
Also consider a Sawall with an assortment of metal cutting blades.

Yeah our HF band saw does ok, a little slow but like you said maybe a quality blade would change that.

Overall though, i feel like there are parts on it that are cheaply made (kinda a no brainer though) If i wouldnt have gotten it for free i probably wouldnt be using it.

There are things you have to deal with when you get an hf product and some are really not all that bad. I know a guy that fabs a ton and he says his hf badnsaw lasted a couple years no problem. Get a good blade because the hf blades suck.

Im gonna add a good drill to the list. Get a good 1/2" drive drill with a keyed chuck and get an assortment of good bits and if you wanna make all the other wheeling style home fabbers go "wowsas" get some by-metal hole saws and some dimple dies. Not a whole lot of dimple dies used on wheeling rigs but they are everywhere with the desert guys and no doubt they look great and are strong when done right.

Ryobis aren't bad for wood, but I'm not sure about metal. I know you'd have to change the blade, tho...

I recall reading an article in Home Shop Machinist about converting a wood-cutting bandsaw to cut metal. I'm not sure if I still have that issue, but it might be a magazine you want to look into for information anyhow...

I was talking about the HF bandsaw that pivots down like a cutoff saw. My dad has a ryobi similar to that and I can get it to cut .080-.125 aluminum thats about it. The blade just deflects too much.

You might consider this.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717910

P1230009-1.JPG

i LOVE... did i say love? i mean LOVE my milwaukee porta-band saw, ive been meaning to make a base for it as in the pic above, but havent yet... i still love it!

...it cuts clean, thin kerfs'....
...its quiet... (do a lot of work at 2am)
...its clean, it makes nice chips instead of black powder EVERYWHERE.....
...its cheap ($300 at HD)
...bands are cheap, and available at MOST home depots ($14 for 2)

....freaking love it...
but it is kinda limited by the throat length. it has limitations, but its a GREAT investment...

as far as chop saws, i have a milwaukee chop saw, i try not to use it, as its loud AND messy.... tons of sparks too. fire breathing dragon.
i use it from time to time, when i need an angle cut to be perfect. (im getting good cutting square w/ the portaband, the dragon stays in the back of the garage.

Back