• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydrolocked

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
We went wheeling on Saturday & my wife hydrolocked her 87 XJ.
We pulled the plugs & shot the water out, then found the rotor was broken (fixed it with superglue, lol). We started it & let it run for about 5 minutes, ran fine, then it started losing oil pressure. Checked the oil & it was a milkshake. changed the oil (not the filter) and still have low oil pressure.

Do I just need a new oil filter (& another flush) or is it possible the pump is clogged?
There was no debris in the pan previously, as I changed the rear main less than 100 miles ago.

How low is low?

What filter?

What weight oil?

I would definitely change the oil at least twice, with new filter each time.

ya man - flush it all out - i have had the best luck just letting the engine simply sit for some time and then when you run it up to operating temps it should ger all the moisture out - on my friends YJ we left the drain plug off and poured a couple quarts through to make sure all sand, mud and water was out as well...

How low is low?

What filter?

What weight oil?

I would definitely change the oil at least twice, with new filter each time.

10psi?
Oreillys "House Brand" filter, cant recall brand
10w30 no-name brand

Jeep always ran consistently around 50-75 psi before, ran fine on startup & slowly dropped down to 10, still oil on rockers but not squirting like it should be.

I wasn't so lucky when this happened to me. I broke a rod, bent another and then the broken rod turned my oil pan to swiss cheese!

If would be changing the oil several times over the next couple days.

Rent a mechanical gauge and test after the next couple oil changes.

You might have crap up in the sending unit.

Remove sending unit and clean it? Seems like filter should be changed when you change the oil. At least spin it off and drain it good.

I would have changed it at that time, but there is no parts store within an hour of where we were wheeling that day & we had hoped to continue wheeling it after the oil change, instead we just loaded it onto the trailer. Have not had more time yet to change the oil and fitler yet since then though. Will also keep the sending unit in mind.

Back