• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 starter relay wire placement

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
I'm fixing a 86 cherokee for a guy that has the 2.5 and starter relay that is mounted on the fender. It came to me with all wires disconnected and I want to ensure they go back together.
The Batt Cable and starter cable are easy, they go on the two big posts.

Which side to the smaller wires go on (battery side I assume) and there are two connectors on the front side. One with yellow and red wires on it, the other with green on it. Which goes where?

Thanks.

I'm fixing a 86 cherokee for a guy that has the 2.5 and starter relay that is mounted on the fender. It came to me with all wires disconnected and I want to ensure they go back together.
The Batt Cable and starter cable are easy, they go on the two big posts.

Which side to the smaller wires go on (battery side I assume) and there are two connectors on the front side. One with yellow and red wires on it, the other with green on it. Which goes where?

Thanks.

I wish you could re-word the second paragraph, I can help if I understand what you are talking about.

I believe the relay/solenoid has; red (constant power), ground, a "trigger" wire, and an "output" wire. On the new MPI system I have, yellow is the "trigger", while green is the "output." Ground is typically black, but it could also be green (or yellow and white running into a clutch switch to ground like mine was before I modified it).

I dunno, hope that helps?

Yeah, this is old style large relay that has two large posts coming off the sides and two small posts on the front of it. Two screws hold it to the inside wall on the passenger side. It's in a 86 XJ with carborator.

I know the MPI 6 cyl stuff real well and it uses the standerd small 30A relay.

This has the battery cable going strait to it, then another battery cable going from it to the starter. (using the large posts to attach them.) There are also three connectors on the battery side with smaller wires on them.

The front of it has two tabs for connecting a wire connecter to each. One has two wires on it (yellow and red) the other has 1 green wire.

the only difference in this relay is that it has rubber bushings for mounting it. The case of the relay may be the ground. I'm going to rip them out, remount it, and try again.

Back