• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost my reverse.

dwcjwerfner

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here is the last year I used to have a problem that the day after wheeling when I would go to move the truck (usually the next day) I would have to really rev the hell out of it to get reverse, it seemed like it had air in the valve and of course the computer will not let you go until there is adequate pressure. But once I got reverse working I never had any problems moving it around again until I would go wheeling the next time. Very odd and I am telling this just in case the background helps with this:

Ok now the real problem I have is I changed that tranny out as I wanted a 23 spline (from a 95) to put in front of my NP231 doubler and D300. Went for a bit of a shakedown run Saturday and Sunday, just got my doubler shifting last night and was driving it around the yard a bit. Today I backed out of the garage fine, well actually at 4500 rpm but only at about 5mph as I was playing with my new 150:1 ratio, then I drove forward with the engine screaming again and a big smile on my face. Then I went to back up and nothing....... sigh. I have since started it and stopped it. Revved the hell out of it trying to get fluid moving again and still nothing. Could this be a computer issue? If so where do I unplug the computer to test it in full manual? Or does somebody know another reason why this has happened?

Thanks
Dwayne
:sure:

So you have the forward gears just not reverse? And maybe it could be a loose wire if it is the computer due to the fact that it occurs after wheeling. ANd what do you need 150:1 ratios for?

Yeah maybe to the loose wire, I am thinking more the computer itself.
150:1 is for rockcrawling. As the guy who made my crawlbox, the "Foxbox" says "Regular low-range is so uncivilized".

Dwayne

Yes you are correct, I have since found all that out. And actually last night I took apart a whole 2wd AW4 to see what was in there, and then actually found a complete service manual on them. http://www.scribd.com/doc/2922823/AW4-manual1
So I actually took the valve body out of mine while in truck and measured the 1st/reverse clutch pack to make sure the clutches were in tolerances and they were by lots. After talking to the foreman at the local Chrylser shop he thinks it sounds like it is possibly a broken planetary gear. Anyway I have bought a replacement with only about 120k kilometres (75k miles) for $200 but I was just hoping to not have to pull the whole driveline as I have our local clubs event this weekend and I have to be up there tomorrow night as I am setting up the challenges on Friday. I plan on revisiting this later and I will try to remember to post up what I find for future reference for others.

Dwayne

Back