• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning up a tracloc before install

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a d44 tracloc that was given to me with 18K miles on it. I'm planning to run it with my current gears until I can regear and go with something better, but I need to clean this thing up before I install it.

Is it safe to just using the parts washer, or will it hose the clutches?

i would just spray it down with brake cleaner. why do you need to clean it up? was it laying around and got dirt and grime all over it?

are you setting up the ring and pinion? you may need and install kit or some shims. just wondering as i dont think its just a remove and replace procedure.

yeah, the guy that gave it to me had it in storage, but not sealed so it has collected a lot of dirt/dust and needs to be cleaned.

Yes, I may need shims, but maybe not from what I have read so far.
I figured it was better than open until I get the cash to regear, plus I can get the experience of the gear set up process too.

Someone here REALLY REALLY pimped one up a while back, used a whole bunch of wheels on it stripping the thing down to bare metal and then repainted it.

Someone here REALLY REALLY pimped one up a while back, used a whole bunch of wheels on it stripping the thing down to bare metal and then repainted it.

Really? Hopefully he took pictures before he installed it.

stripped a tracloc to bare metal? isnt it already bare metal?

as for the tracloc, i would look into an extra dics to have it bite a little better.

stripped a tracloc to bare metal? isnt it already bare metal?

as for the tracloc, i would look into an extra dics to have it bite a little better.

No, he did the whole axle from a rusty looking pos to brand new looking with gloss paint and all.

No, he did the whole axle from a rusty looking pos to brand new looking with gloss paint and all.

is the OP taliking about a trackloc carrier or the whole axle? i thought he was just talking about using a d44 tracloc carrier and putting it into his d44 and using his gears.

is the OP taliking about a trackloc carrier or the whole axle? i thought he was just talking about using a d44 tracloc carrier and putting it into his d44 and using his gears.

exactly, I am only talking about the carrier. I thought the guy was just yanking my chain about the painting.....

Back