• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering adjustment/play of a different kind

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I just put in a rebuilt steering box and here is what I can measure. With the front axle on stands, I move a wheel by hand left and right and the pitman shaft has some play of about 0.1" measured at the end of the pitman arm (via dial indicator) where the tie rod bolts on. Does this sound acceptable or should it be adjusted some?

Ok, you caught me, I rebuilt it myself. So if its out of spec, I have to adjust it, (I can't return it to any store) It's a quick ratio box from a Z28 with a "Z" casting on it. BTW I don't think that "Z" casting has much to do with anything, the original box I took out had the same casting and it wasn't a quick ratio box?!?

87 XJ
4.0L Auto
4WD Command-Trac
Power steering

Thanks

Good question. I'm not where I can access any manuals, but although .1 inch doesn't seem like much, I would have expected it to be pretty snug if it's on center. That's the main question of the moment: are you measuring this at the center position? The box should be tighter on center, and you would expect a little play off center. The second question is whether or not this is being measured with the engine on or off. I've noticed in some boxes that the circulating fluid takes up a tiny bit of play, and it may be all right when you're running.

However, since I don't have any manuals on hand, I can't really recommend anything in the way of adjustment. As I recall, it's supposed to be done mainly in terms of turning torque, rather than play, so I hope Eagle or someone else can come up with some specs.

As a final thought, make sure you can distinguish in your measurement between gear lash and bearing play. I think there's a small allowance for side play in the pitman shaft bearing, but there's no adjustment for that as far as I know, since it's a needle bearing. You might have to put your dial gauge to the side of the shaft instead of the end of the pitman arm to check for that.

Thanks for your reply Mathew. I have an FSM and it doens't have any kind of specs like I'm measuring. I've rebuilt the box per the instructions in the FSM best I could. When measuring it was on center and the engine was off. I'll try filling it with fluid and starting the motor, but that will be a little ways off since I'm not done putting it back together.

I guess I was hoping someone had tried moving their wheels while the axle was on stands and noticed the amount of movement or lack thereof. I'll try putting the indicator on the shaft, I didn't notice any kind of play in the bearing (which is new BTW) like that, but worth a check.

I guess I'll leave it the way it is now and adjust it later if need be.

Thanks alot for your help!

Back