• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 shaft questions

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
so i am confused on what kind of axle shaft i have.. the guy i bought it from says that the axle came out of a cherokee, and the shafts are cherokee length, but the step ups/downs are in different places, same spline count, same length, but instead of 5 on 4.5 the bolt pattern is 5 on 5.5, i have been told that they could be made by alloy usa, either they make them or used to make them idk. anyone know whats up with these shafts?? in the comparison pic the weird shaft is on the bottom and standard 44 xj shaft is on top.

comparison
shaft3.jpg

weird shaft
shaft2.jpg

standard xj d44 shaft
shaft1.jpg

thanks guys

CJ or Commando shafts?

If they were alloy-usa shafts, the end (towards the wheel) would have a part number stamped in it, that would normally be hidden under an alloy-usa sticker.

that does not look like the alloy usa shaft I have, the Alloy USA shafts are drilled for both 5 on 5.5 and 5 on 4.5 and I'm pretty sure the mounting surfave is thicker than that. they might be a shortened/re-splined shaft from a wider D44 :dunno:

Back