• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Headlight Harness Problems

Jay1335

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys so I picked up and installed the arb headlight harness upgrade...... at first when I turned on my high beams I couldnt get them to turn off. So I called arb and they overnighted me a new relay. I swap out the relays and now when I pull my light knob out no lights untill i switch em over to highs, then the highs come on. then if I switch back to lows the highs stay on and the lows come on too. Then if I try switching the relays around I can get my highs and lows to work but they are reversed. Has anyone ever had this problem with this harness? I'm going to give arb a call tomorrow but this just seems like they f'd up this harness....

do you have factory fog lights? if so, this is a well known issue.

From the FitchVA writeup:

I hesitated so long to publish this writeup because there is a small flaw in the configuration of the wiring if you have factory fog lights. With the harness installed and the fog lights turned on, if you turn your lights on with the low beams active, then go to hi beams and back to low, all of the lighting elements in the bulbs will stay illuminated. Essentially giving you the light output of 4 headlights. While this is good for your visibility, it will cause your lights to burn out in short order.

If you take a look at your stock driver’s side H4 headlight plug, you’ll see not 1 but 2 wires connected to the hi beam terminal.

This wire is used to tell the XJ that the hi beams are on/off and allows the fog lights to operate accordingly. The law states that fog lights can only operate when the low beams are on. This connection sends a current through the system that makes its way back into the new harness and keeps the hi beam relay connected when it shouldn’t. If you cut the lights off and back on again, everything operates normally.

I searched around for a simple fix to this but I never found one that I was comfortable with. My fix was to pull the fog light relay from the PDC under the hood. This will keep the feedback from happening but it also takes away your fog lights. This hasn’t been an issue though because I have plenty of light output from the brighter light.

Okay, if you have factory fog lights... you need to find the d/s original HDLamp plug. You will see 2 red wires cut them loose from the factory plug. Get a test light or a DVM turn on the HDLights w/ the factory fog lights turned on. On of the red wires will show 4-6 volts on it.

You can do 1 of 2 things... ground it, and the fog lights do not shut off w/ HI beams... or you can splice that wire into the DS HI beam side of the new harness and then the fog lights will work like factory.

I ended up just pulling the relay for my stock fogs as I dont even have them on the jeep anymore. This did the trick my lights now work perfectly!!! Thanks again veeb0rg!!!

Back