• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to make my Jeep reliable

spikyhair87

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what everyone has done to make their jeep reliable.....

First of all its a 93 cherokee 4x4 4.0 auto with 240K+ ? cuz the speedo custer was changed to 181,xxxk ... long story...

either way it has like 250-260k atleast on it... and thus far i have replaced...

cap and rotor
plugs
plug wires
new battery
coil
oil and oil filter ofcourse....
ran a can of seam foam thru the gas...
tranny fluid lots and lots of flushing.. (had water in it...)
Tranny filter...
tps sensor..
valve cover gasket...
it had a "top end" rebuild about two years ago to my guess... was told that it was done when i bought it...
Ran through most of the wiring/fuses/relays to check over everything... and cleaned the connectors..

What else can be done so this thing doesn't leave me stranded AGAIN!

Short of a new engine/tranny.....

maybe change out the diff. fluids... (on my list....)

o yeah the jeep has a 4.5 RE superflex on it with an AA SYE bfg 33x12.5 mud terrains... Gas tank skid....

Thanks Guys!!:cheers:

Well, what happened that it left you stranded in the first place?

You told us you replaced a lot of stuff, but that doesn't tell us what you are trying to fix.

Sounds like you've hit most of the areas.
I'd also do transfer case.
One thing that helped me was changing to a copper radiator, I got tired of the plastic tanks separating from the core.

Well, what happened that it left you stranded in the first place?

You told us you replaced a lot of stuff, but that doesn't tell us what you are trying to fix.

good point..

first it was the coil issue....

Then it was the tranny not shifting... turned out to be a bad tps....

Then had some problems with some 34x9.5R15 tsl's... sold those...

I feel im on the right track but looking for maybe stuff to replace before it leaves me stranded....

Serpentine belt is another think that is on my list to replace....

Anyone have suggestions or little tricks/tips...

Thanks!

ooo btw i have a dana 44 with powertrax...

and the dana 30 is going to get a lock rite soon.....

so as far as the axles.. well they are in "good" shape....

Regular maintenance including torquing the suspension.

You can change all the fluids and torque all the bolts that you want, but sometimes the age just simply takes a toll on the wiring and connectors. Sometimes wires get corroded or they might rub through near a corner and short to ground. Personally, i was having electrical issues with my engine that caused it to randomly shut off. I traced it to a bad auto shutdown relay. Its small stuff like that that can rear its ugly head every now and then.

Parts/fluids wise this is what I would make sure to have done:
Replace the belt and all hoses, including the smaller heater hoses.
Engine, trans, tc, diff, steering, coolant, and brake fluid exchange, and filters (you said you already planned it anyway)
Injector cleaner ( u already did that too)
Check your brakes for leaks and function (calipers can sieze, cylinders and hoses can leak)
Replace old rubber brake hoses (they dry rot and can start to leak)
Check your front wheel bearings
Check all of your steering linkages and ball joints
Check all of your suspension bushings (control arm bush, shock bush, leaf spring bush)
Check or replace power steering hoses
Check or replace trans cooler hoses
Fix all of your fluid leaks! If your jeep is anything like mine, thats a huge job lol.
Replace fuel filter and check fuel system for leaks and dry rotted rubber hoses.
Avoid mud/water puddles at all costs! Your alternator is toward the bottom and itll soak up all the water.
Plugs, wires, caps, rotor, and coil.
Check your driveshafts for u-joint play, also check your front axle shafts for the same.

Thats about all I can think of now.

Regular maintenance including torquing the suspension.

Got ya.... and of course lube everything up...

You can change all the fluids and torque all the bolts that you want, but sometimes the age just simply takes a toll on the wiring and connectors. Sometimes wires get corroded or they might rub through near a corner and short to ground. Personally, i was having electrical issues with my engine that caused it to randomly shut off. I traced it to a bad auto shutdown relay. Its small stuff like that that can rear its ugly head every now and then.

Parts/fluids wise this is what I would make sure to have done:
Replace the belt and all hoses, including the smaller heater hoses.
Engine, trans, tc, diff, steering, coolant, and brake fluid exchange, and filters (you said you already planned it anyway)
Injector cleaner ( u already did that too)
Check your brakes for leaks and function (calipers can sieze, cylinders and hoses can leak)
Replace old rubber brake hoses (they dry rot and can start to leak)
Check your front wheel bearings
Check all of your steering linkages and ball joints
Check all of your suspension bushings (control arm bush, shock bush, leaf spring bush)
Check or replace power steering hoses
Check or replace trans cooler hoses
Fix all of your fluid leaks! If your jeep is anything like mine, thats a huge job lol.
Replace fuel filter and check fuel system for leaks and dry rotted rubber hoses.
Avoid mud/water puddles at all costs! Your alternator is toward the bottom and itll soak up all the water.
Plugs, wires, caps, rotor, and coil.
Check your driveshafts for u-joint play, also check your front axle shafts for the same.

Thats about all I can think of now.

all worth repeating.

basicly, take care of everything that was neglected from the prior owner, and the things that wear out with the age and use of the vehicle.

well to make your jeep reliable, 1st you have to sell it and buy something else..the end haha

wow

Thanks guys

igotanxj thanks for my updated/new list!!!

New hoses/brake lines where also on the mind....

Thanks for the good info/advise!!

I guess im going to be giving it a real good look over/ replacement of quite a few things that arent necessarly bad but could cause problems.. so replacing them would give me a better feeling...(not to long ago i wanted to blow this heep to peice.. :) lol )

well to make your jeep reliable, 1st you have to sell it and buy something else..the end haha

lol thought about that but in the end i have decided to keep it...

Cheaper and once i get my jeep reliable i can wheel this summer and not spend time swapping parts....

Hallo. And don't forget the electrics!
All grounds and fuses and relays and connectors. Don't trust them, even they look very good outside. Take them apart and clean them if needed.
Use a DMM to check the grounds. :yap:

'92 XJ

I think this thread can be summed up in 2 words "Routine Maintenance".

I6 engine's are *usually* bone simple and nearly bullet proof. Take alittle time to take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Hallo. And don't forget the electrics!
All grounds and fuses and relays and connectors. Don't trust them, even they look very good outside. Take them apart and clean them if needed.
Use a DMM to check the grounds. :yap:

'92 XJ

X2, and as mentioned also by igotanxj, most likely thing to strand you is a bad electircal connection. Carefully pull apart and clean every one you can find including fuses and relays. And always carry a multimeter (or at least a test light) when venturing far from home!

k thanks guys!!

anymore input is welcome!!:)

also i was wondering what parts/supplies you guys carry for wheeling..(i wheel at the cliffs..... wooded muddy swampy type of land.... hills etc..)

Thanks!!

bump!

What do you guys carry on the trail?

What other things should i replace.... besides engine and tranny etc... what little demons can i get rid of.... in advance/ replace before they become demons..

Thanks!

I've had 5 XJ's and it is a very reliable vehicle. Some issues they all have shared and can all benefit from fixing are:
Trans Cooler (A must in CA)
If yours is an auto, the neutral safety switch gets dirty and needs to be cleaned every now and then.
Definitely swap out the Dana 35 rear.
If you have the owners manual, it has a service schedule in the back. Do everything on that list.
The "Jeep Owner's Bible" has alot of good info on how to take care of your Jeep.
Keep basic tools in your truck everyday and of course, the ability to change a flat. Jumper cables and a gas can won't hurt either. If not for you, then to help someone else.
Your Jeep is 15+ years old and has 240+K miles on it. It will need constant attention.
I have had super reliable 40 year old 4x4's and I have had newer cars that I didn't trust to get me around the block. Take care of it and it will take you just about anywhere.

Back