• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 ax-15 into a 97 xj

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi im in the process of installing a 93 ax-15 into my 97 xj. My question is what flywheel and cps do i need to use? I have a ecm out of a manual 97. Just asking cause i dont want to have to pull the trans to change a flywheel if i can help it.

The 93 and 97 flywheel are the same. I don't know if the CKP is the same, so you need to check the parts numbers, but you want to use what is for the 97.

No difference in CKP for auto/manual, just use your 97.

Last edited:
The flywheel and CKP are the same.

Note, however, that the hydraulics are different. This can be addressed most easily by swapping the 1997 bellhousing, associated parts, and front bearing retainer onto the 1993 gearbox. Otherwise, you'll be going from the "external" slave to the "internal" (1993 was, I believe, the last year for that atrocimacy,) and I've long thought that was a huge step backwards.

It wasn't a good idea when Mazda did it, it wasn't a good idea when Ford copied it, and the story has not improved with retelling!

The flywheel and CKP are the same.

Note, however, that the hydraulics are different. This can be addressed most easily by swapping the 1997 bellhousing, associated parts, and front bearing retainer onto the 1993 gearbox. Otherwise, you'll be going from the "external" slave to the "internal" (1993 was, I believe, the last year for that atrocimacy,) and I've long thought that was a huge step backwards.

It wasn't a good idea when Mazda did it, it wasn't a good idea when Ford copied it, and the story has not improved with retelling!

It appears he is converting the 97 from AW4.

my 97 is an auto right now so im not going back i just havent updated yet. When i need to replace hydraulic parts i will swap to external but till then the internal will work for me. Thank you all for your information.

Back