• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leak problem

heavyhopper

NAXJA Forum User
on 92 xj, first is i am getting a good amount of oil in my air filter box, i know it coming from the tube that comes from the front of the valve cover, its soaking air filters. next is if i have to do the rear main seal is there an article on how to do it? thanks

search the forums, there are a few about the rear main seal, read the sticky on how to search and you should find something useful. About the oil in the air box, check the valve going into the valve cover to see if it is opening and shutting properly, or else you have a ton of blow-by and need some new rings.

chelms27 said:
search the forums, there are a few about the rear main seal, read the sticky on how to search and you should find something useful. About the oil in the air box, check the valve going into the valve cover to see if it is opening and shutting properly, or else you have a ton of blow-by and need some new rings.
what valve?

Ok, maybe I am not sure what I am speaking of here, but I think there is a valve/flap inside of the plastic insert going into the valve cover and out to the tube that connects to the air box.(there is one on my 97) If there isn't, you can just plug the hole in the airbox, and put a small filter element on the end of the hose coming out to collect the blowby. Or else a catch can.

I made a catch can similar to Dr. Dino, works great
Big soup can, 5/8 copper line going in and out, J/B welded nut in bottom of can for drainage, used another can lid cut in half for baffle, and steel scour pads for filtering media.

no flap but a 2.6mm orifice at the back of valve cover and clean the vac. line
the flap is more of a baffle

Last edited:
Back