• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux.Fan On Again-Off Again

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My Auxiliary Fan stopped working so I replaced it with one from AutoZone:
These are the marking on the box-
Dorman Fan Assy. #620-001, Siemens #FA70115, (422698 FA70115 A55).

Anyway, when I first installed it, I had intermittent problems like I'd turn the Jeep off and the fan would keep running. After an hour or so I unplugged it. This happened several times. I replaced a solenoid and that seemed to have solved that problem.

NOW it runs when the AC is on and shuts off when A/C is off or car turned off.

PROBLEM: While it IS running (when the A/C is on) it does not run constantly. I runs for about 5 seconds, then off 5 seconds and so on. I know that the factory one was ALWAYS on when the A/C was on.

What could be causing this?

Thanks,
Jeffy-97XJ
97XJ, 4.0,231J, AW-4. Lifted and armored. 300K.

My XJ is also a 97 and I had the same problem of it running when the Jeep was off and I replaced the relay for it in the fuse block under the hood and that solved the problem. I know when my a/c is on it will start and stop just as you described. I can also hear the clutch in the a/c compressor kick in and out when the fan comes on and goes off so either my XJ has a problem or yours is fine. I also have the orginal factory aux fan. I think you just had a bad relay and when it would come on with the a/c it would stick and stay on even would it was supposed to be turning off and it just progressively got worse to where it would keep the fan running even though the Jeep was off. I wouldn't worry about it unless it just stopped coming on all together.

mine does the same thing. when the a/c is on, my engine temp is usually at 190 but when wheeling and it gets to 210 then it will run until the temp is down just below 210. i been assuming that this was normal since the engine isnt running hot.

Fan is cycling with a/c compressor, as designed.

My engine runs hot unless the AC is on. I was told it was probably a relay, but which one?

if its only staying cool while the ac is on then you have some cooling issues. its getting some extra cooling power with the ac on because the aux fan runs when the ac is on providing more airflow to the radiator. that is showing that the aux fan relay is working fine. i have no idea what other relay that person could be talking about.

you need to find out what is not working properly with your cooling system. when are you overheating- stuck in traffic, at highway speed etc? also, have you maintained your cooling system with flushes and proper coolant mix?

My jeep burnt down at this guys shop, he replaced mine with this one, it has never over heated on me, but I run the AC all the time. It doesnt blow cold but hey it keeps it from overheating. I am also away in the military now and will be haome in a couple of weeks to check her out. But yeah it maked since getting the extra cooling.

Mine cycles on/off/on/off/on/off repeatedly while the AC or defrost(AC...) is on. Like every 5 seconds. It only click on, barely gets spinning all the way, then clicks off?

My jeep burnt down at this guys shop, he replaced mine with this one, it has never over heated on me, but I run the AC all the time. It doesnt blow cold but hey it keeps it from overheating. I am also away in the military now and will be haome in a couple of weeks to check her out. But yeah it maked since getting the extra cooling.

sucks that your other jeep burnt down. and from one Vet to another, THANK YOU!!:patriot:

when you get back you may want to start off with flushing the cooling system then refill with the proper mix of coolant. its also a great time to replace the hoses, t stat and t stat housing. its just cheap insurance.

when you have your AC on, the aux. fan will NOT run constantly, unless the engine is above a certain temperature. The fan will only come on when the AC compressor cycles on. The compressor does not run all the time, so the fan won't. HOwever, if your engine is above 220* or so, the fan should come on regardless of the AC or not.

If your AC comp is cycling every 5 sec then you have a problem with the AC system.Probably low freon.Get the AC filled correctly and I bet the frequent (5sec) cycling goes away.

If your AC comp is cycling every 5 sec then you have a problem with the AC system.Probably low freon.Get the AC filled correctly and I bet the frequent (5sec) cycling goes away.

Mine seems to cycle (never really paid attention, but I'll check it tonight). But it is still ICE COLD.

I assumed when the freon was low, the cooling power was less.

You are correct that cooling power would be low if freon was low enough to cause short cycling. Another possibility is that the low pressure switch on the bottle could be bad or even loose. There is a valve under the switch that prevents loss of coolant when changing out the switch. Jump across that plug, and the AC should stay on without cycling (just to test).

Ahh yea my AC has been mega weak for years. I'll get a recharge and see if it settles. Is that a dealer trip, or do any of those AC in a bottle type things work form the local store?

sucks that your other jeep burnt down. and from one Vet to another, THANK YOU!!:patriot:

when you get back you may want to start off with flushing the cooling system then refill with the proper mix of coolant. its also a great time to replace the hoses, t stat and t stat housing. its just cheap insurance.

Thank you, I will try and get all that done, just depens on when we deploy/patrol again.

Back