• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front recovery points

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gonig to build some front recovery points for my stocker, and it's come time for the age-old question.....should I build shackles or tow hooks?

Planning on going with a OEM style bracket for now, but later going to custom build a bumper with tow points extended out to the face of the bumper....

Opinions are welcome!

I like shackles over hooks. I think they are safer since you can "lock" the tow strap into them.

Hooks do not look cooler, shackles are a lot better.
I've had a tow strap and an expensive snatch strap destroyed by tow hooks. The only time I'm going to pull someone with hooks again is with their straps.

I agree with Begster on the looks. Hooks stick out, shackles hang down or can just be removed all together until needed. Mine are bright orange so I typically leave them off until I'm on the trail.

d-ring shackles work better. d-ring shackles look better.

everyone i know is like dont get a front reciever it decreases ur approach angle!... and $175 could go towards a nice front bumper with a front reciever hole and 2 shackle mounts already on it =/

Finally made the decision and got the HiCountry Xtreme Tow Hook Backet Kit with D-ring mounts and put them on today. It's not quite as easy as the website says, but most of my trouble stems from living in the rust belt. One of the steering box bolts is a real pain in the A** to reach without taking off the bumper. I did have to use the die grinder on a couple holes too, but not really too serious.

Back