• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb Fluid Change Question

best manual is the Factory Service manual. yes, we are lucky enough to have drain plugs on the tranny and t-case, and you will have to remove the diff covers to drain them unless you have a pump of sorts to extract the fluid out of the diff fill hole. As far as the write ups, there are hundreds of them, use the "search" feature and it will guide you in the right direction young grasshopper.

unless you have a pump of sorts to extract the fluid out of the diff fill hole.

The various auto parts stores have vacuum pumps that are typically used to do a one-man brake bleed. However, if you hook the hoses up correctly (and there will be instructions for this with the pump), you can use them to get diff fluid out really easily. These pumps typically run about $20, and I use the hell out of mine for all kinds of dumb stuff.

I'll second the motion for the FSM. Lots of really minor, but not inconsequential, changes occurred to the XJ lineup across it's many years, and the Haynes and Chiltons manuals seem to gloss over a lot of that. Get the FSM for your year - it's worth it.

Back