• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX VS. H.O.?

Just took out my renix in my 87 and installed a 96 H.O.Nothing wrong with the Renix just wanted more modern engine and system.

My only complaint 13MPG on the H.O. ,the Renix was 17MPG.

Nick

I would choose whichever is in better condition. I own a 1990 XJ, last year of the Renix 4.0 and a 2001 XJ. At RPMs below 2000, the Renix has more torque. Over 2,000 rpm, the late-model engine has more go. It all depends on what you want, and the condition of what you can find to buy. My Renix gets about 1.0 mpg better than the 2001, and doesn't burn oil at 280,000 km (about 174,000 miles). It leaks a little, but only drops to the add line by the time its due for an oil change. I notice than Chrysler has removed a lot of the sound insulation and cheapened the structure in the 2001, but the interior is a slightly nicer design.

They can have my 1990 Renix when they pry my cold dead ass from the driver's seat!

Last edited:
From what I have read here, the older mechanical aspects (castings) may be more robust. Too many reports of low mileage 2000 / 2001's with mechanical problems. Many reports of high mileage earlier RENIX versions.

Well, the 00-01 also have DIS. I personally have never really been a fan of ChryCo's Electronics.

But the 91-99 HO are pretty decent. Really it is preference, yes the HO has a little more power, but you can run the newer HO engine with a Renix or aftermarket setup.
Most of my XJ's have been Renix, and have not had any complaints as far as that goes. Except the closed loop cooling system. But that can be fixed with a new rad.

I own 5 XJ's, 90 RENIX, 94 OBD1, two 96 OBD2, and a 00 OBD2 w/DIS and COP.

The RENIX is built up more than the HO's are (bored 40 over, decked and milled) and honestly they all run the same to me, damn good!

For a trail rig, I like my 96's, both are trail rigs, they have been extremely dependable.

For a daily driver, you will not get the mileage out of a HO that you can from a well tuned RENIX. I can get as much as 24 on the highway/17 in town/20 mixed with 3.55's on 30x9.5 and 3" lift on my 90. I'm getting ready to drop in some 4.10 geared axles from one of my trail rigs and see where the mileage goes from there. I will most likely loose some on the highway but gain it back in town.

My $.02 and real life experience!

Renix can be entirely diagnosed with a multi meter. Renix era 4.0s have the most low end torque of any iteration.

I own 5 XJ's, 90 RENIX, 94 OBD1, two 96 OBD2, and a 00 OBD2 w/DIS and COP.

The RENIX is built up more than the HO's are (bored 40 over, decked and milled) and honestly they all run the same to me, damn good!

For a trail rig, I like my 96's, both are trail rigs, they have been extremely dependable.

For a daily driver, you will not get the mileage out of a HO that you can from a well tuned RENIX. I can get as much as 24 on the highway/17 in town/20 mixed with 3.55's on 30x9.5 and 3" lift on my 90. I'm getting ready to drop in some 4.10 geared axles from one of my trail rigs and see where the mileage goes from there. I will most likely loose some on the highway but gain it back in town.

It will be interesting to see where your milage goes after the re-gear. I never had a Renix mechine. I had a '94 which got stolen. The '96 that I have nowwas made at the cross over time made up of bats and pieces of the '96 and '97 XJ. Both run very well, both very reliable. Mileage are about the same for both. BTW my XJ manufactured date is July 2006.

From what I have read here, the older mechanical aspects (castings) may be more robust. Too many reports of low mileage 2000 / 2001's with mechanical problems. Many reports of high mileage earlier RENIX versions.

From what I've read here, the newer casting block with NVR engineering is better than a RENIX, the non-0331 HO head has better airflow and horsepower, and the '99 up rainbow manifold makes more horsepower. Later model graphite skirt pistons are a better deal, too.

OBD II motors have a picky computer that throws codes for a loose gas cap, won't take mods as well, uses before and after O2 sensors, and shows more misfire codes. Coil on plug ignitions eliminate distributor play, but have 6 $40 coils on them, not one.

It's the historical convention that what "Detroit" did over time is not always an improvement, but a careful pick and choose can put all the best together. I believe largely an HO motor, with RENIX injection, would be the best. The RENIX ignition can accept CD ignitions if you like. Coil on plug offers stock only.

What you have is good enough - Jeeps are about axles and tires, because that's what gets us over the ground.

Back