• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Question... Please help

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
Will a NP231 from a '94 XJ directly bolt in to a '96 XJ that has a Late Model '97+ NP231?

My '96 XJ has the Late Model NP231 in it.

Are the Rear Halves the same length?

Will there be any hookup or wiring differences?

My Son and I can not find a '97+ NP231 anywhere around here. Even the Salvage Yards only have '89 and older NP231s.

I must get this in this weekend and I found a '94 Np231 that I can go pick up but I don't want to take a Taxi 20 miles and find it won't work. Our XJ is our only vehicle.

Thank you. We appreciate your help.

I believe it all depends on what tranny your pulling it from if it will be a direct swap (21 spl vs 23 spl and the depth of the spl). Worse case senerio, you can take the input shaft from your old TC and swap it in the new TC. There are quite a few write ups on the web on how to swap the inputs.

Thanks.

BTW: Our XJ is a '96 4 Door XJ Country 4x4 and We run a 4.0L with an AW4 Automatic and a C8.25 Rear End if that helps in helping us.

This NP231 we are interested in comes from a '94 4 Door 4x4 Automatic that is listed on Craig's List.

Last edited:
We do not have the Tools or the Expertize to split the TC and swap Shafts. That is why I am asking if it can be Bolted right in. Please, if you are in the know... Reply. Thank you.

I believe it all depends on what tranny your pulling it from if it will be a direct swap (21 spl vs 23 spl and the depth of the spl). Worse case senerio, you can take the input shaft from your old TC and swap it in the new TC. There are quite a few write ups on the web on how to swap the inputs.

Okay... I found this:

The 1987-94 models have a different bevel gear angle than 1995 and newer. There are two different front input shaft lengths, 4.125" AND 5.125". The TF999 uses the 23 spline long and the AX15 uses the 23 spline short. The Peugot AW4 up to 1990 used the 21 spline shaft and 1991 and newer used the 23 spline. All AX5 models use 21 spline.

I guess that partially answers my questions.

What is a bevel gear? Okay, I found what one is:

Bevel gears are gears where the axes of the two shafts intersect and the tooth-bearing faces of the gears themselves are conically shaped. Bevel gears are most often mounted on shafts that are 90 degrees apart, but can be designed to work at other angles as well. The pitch surface of bevel gears is a cone.

Does it matter since we would be swapping out the Full TC?

Last edited:
i was under the impression it was renix vs ho imput shaft... as long as neither the t/c nor the trans/motor is a renix, i dont think bevel gears matter ??

but what do i know? await further varification.

Back