• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

License plate relocation bracket fab (pics)

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
After I installed my tailbone I realized I would need to relocate my license plate due to a partially obstructed view from the tire. I went to Lowes and bought a 4 foot piece of flat steel. My fabrication skills aren't the best, but I think the finished product is great.

The main tools for this job are an angle grinder, spray paint (color of choice), and a flat head screwdriver (not pictured).
bracket1.jpg

I measured the distance from screw hole to screw hole at 7 inches. I doubled this measurement to 14 inches which is how long I needed my steel brackets to be.
bracket2.jpg

After cutting with the angle grinder, which is hella fun, I needed to drill two new holes due to an alignment issue with the already present holes. I lined up the steel and marked where I had to make my holes.
bracket3.jpg

I did the same thing with the license plate. Lined it up, marked appropriately and thus commenced drilling. I drilled my holes to 1/4" with a step bit.
bracket4.jpg

bracket5.jpg

I spray painted after all the cutting and drilling was finished.
bracket6.jpg

Here's the finished bracket without license plate
bracket7.jpg

With license plate
bracket8.jpg

now you need to move the licence plate light over so its in the center of the plate. if the whole plate is not seen at night you may get pulled over by a cop with notning better to do.

Seems to me that might rattle a bit on a bumpy road...

I was facing the same problem (except I have the Slimline instead of the Tailbone) and accomplished the same thing in a little different way. I found that if I matched up the holes in the left side of the license plate with the mounts for the right side of the plate, it would line up perfectly with the lines of the liftgate. I just bolted up the plate in this offset position, marked and drilled holes for the right side of the plate, and then squared them off so the factory plate mount inserts would fit my new holes. I reused my old left side inserts in my new right side holes and then covered up the old holes with a couple of adhesive reflectors to keep water out.

HalfRear.jpg

I can appreciate that using your method you can return your liftgate to stock condition (if the brackets don't scratch your paint), but do you really think you're going to? You already cut and drilled holes in your bumper to mount the Tailbone.

As for the lighting, I was considering mounting an LED directly above the plate. As it turns out, the stock light illuminates the plate quite well so I'm not going to worry about it.

Last edited:
After cutting with the angle grinder, which is hella fun...

whoa... are you a former resident of norcal? because i thought only nocal folks say "hella"... lol

my slimline bumper came with a license relocation bracket, same design but with just the 4 holes that are needed.

whoa... are you a former resident of norcal? because i thought only nocal folks say "hella"... lol

my slimline bumper came with a license relocation bracket, same design but with just the 4 holes that are needed.

"Hella" made it all the way north to Seattle for sure and maybe Bellingham. It's West Coast jargon... I was still using it during a visit back home around Washington DC and, well, I had to explain myself a few times. Thats OK, though - "wicked" sounds funny once you hit Ohio, much less Colorado or California...

On topic: Strong work with the relocation there, buddy - and nice rig!

Back