• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R-12 to r-134a conversion problem

Gray XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought the conversion kit to switch my 89 XJ over from R-12 to r134-a, and now I cannot fit my cans of freon on the new fittings since they are bigger than the old ones.The quick connect hits the part of the metal frame of the compressor.Anyone else this problem, any answers?Thanks in advance.

I know they make 90* fittings to alleviate that problem. I'd hit the local parts store and look in the A.C. section-- if nobody has stolen them, you'll find 'em there.

I had the same issue.. you can use the R12 fitting as far as I know.. if you are 134A gauges you just unscrew the quick disconnect fitting, and then threads will fit onto your compressor's fittings.. I dont' see why you would have to put 134A quick disconnect fittings on.. just to run 134A.. Most gauges will do 134A R12 and R22...

I had the same issue.. you can use the R12 fitting as far as I know.. if you are 134A gauges you just unscrew the quick disconnect fitting, and then threads will fit onto your compressor's fittings.. I dont' see why you would have to put 134A quick disconnect fittings on.. just to run 134A.. Most gauges will do 134A R12 and R22...
:nono:
Nominated

The R12 fitting should be fine. I'm sorry for the incoherent post above. They sell conversion kits.. even at walmart that change the fittings on your XJ to 134A quick disconnect fittings. All I'm trying to say is that you don't need those. Especially if you own A/C charge gauges.

So I'm nominated for the worlds worst post and dumbest poster?

Last edited:
Gauges that fit both? Maybe if they come with adapters. Without the r134 quick connects, there is no way to get the refrigerant into the system. The r134 cans will not connect to r12 fittings.

So I'm nominated for the worlds worst post and dumbest poster?
Not the 'worlds worst', maybe the days worst. :D

On your A/C gauge hoses, your "quick connect" fitting should be threaded onto the hose, if you remove the "quick connect" fitting for you A/C gauge hose, it will screw onto your R12 fitting on your compressor. The 134A can connects to the "charge" hose on your gauges.

Ok thanks shorty , you seem to understand what my problem is.I have looked for the fittings with now luck, but I will keep looking, man its almost 100 her and my little girl is just miserable.

This was some years ago, but the only place I found the 90* angle fitting locally was NAPA.

I wouldn't argue with stephenspann27 on a technical basis, but I wonder how many people who do the cheapo conversion have a gauge set. I've done two and am driving a third done with just the basic kit. Not saying that's the best way to go but it can work well. No doubt a certain amount of luck also involved.

This was some years ago, but the only place I found the 90* angle fitting locally was NAPA.

I wouldn't argue with stephenspann27 on a technical basis, but I wonder how many people who do the cheapo conversion have a gauge set. I've done two and am driving a third done with just the basic kit. Not saying that's the best way to go but it can work well. No doubt a certain amount of luck also involved.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, or start a long list of replies on this subject.... just one will do..

Did you notice much of a performance decrease when you switched from R12 to 134A? I'm on the fence about converting to 134A or running freeze 12. I have a leak.. so I don't want to charge it with the expensive Freeze 12 just to find the leak.. I also know that 134A has smaller molecules so it's more prone to leaking..

Do you know of the O-Rings are compatible with 134A? Did you basically just drain the oil from the compressor and condenser, add POE oil and charge it with 134A?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, or start a long list of replies on this subject.... just one will do..

Did you notice much of a performance decrease when you switched from R12 to 134A? I'm on the fence about converting to 134A or running freeze 12. I have a leak.. so I don't want to charge it with the expensive Freeze 12 just to find the leak.. I also know that 134A has smaller molecules so it's more prone to leaking..

I have switch several vehicles to 134a with no apparent change in cooling, and I live in Houston, Humid Hot, Texas. Don't use Freeze 12 or anything that is blend!

Last edited:
Do you mean "with out noticing a change" ?

I only 1.5 hours north of you.. hot as heck her too...

Right, mine cools just as well with 134a as it did with R12.

Originally I thought the 134a switch was a mistake, but later I found other problems, like a vent door damper stuck in the outside air vent position on mine.

Hey EcoMike, how did u find that vent door issue and how did u fix it?
My AC only blows from the defroster vents and i have checked all the small hose that goes near the battery to the bottle in the bumper ,and thats all good, so i was thinking it was a stuck valve or flap somewhere.

I am a few miles east of you (Livingston) so similar climate. Simple answer: cooling with the 134a has been quite adequate for me, and for the most part, my wife who likes a LOT of cold air. I have no experience with Freeze 12 so can't compare.

I had the systems on my '85 xj and an old Buick evacuated by a local shop in exchange for the residual R12 (assume shops are no longer doing this for free but don't know for sure). I then screwed on the fittings (needing one 90* for the 85) and charged with oil that came with the kit, followed by the proper amount of 134a. Did not open the system and no other modifications.

The Buick was cooling about a year later when we got rid of it. The '85 worked for about seven years with approximately a can of 134a each year. Not sure what failed at that point but I wasn't driving it enough to mess with it.

I have had my '93xj for four years and I suspect that it was converted about two years before that. It takes a can of 134 about every two years but I can't compare to the situation with R12 before the conversion.

The guys at the shop that did the evac suggested politely that the system would almost certainly sludge up and probably leak like a sieve in view of the smaller molecules you mentioned. If anything the '85 leaked less than it had been with the R12. I have no theory on this -- probably just a lot of dumb luck as I suggested above.

Back to comfort which is, of course, more than a little subjective. I know that many on the forum feel that cooling with 134a is inadequate compared to R12. While I'm personally satisfied, my current usage is no doubt way different than most.

Gray XJ probably pretty much has it right when it comes to the conversion experience (realizing he was commenting in a slightly different context).

Not sure if I can add anything but feel free to ask. I may just get a set of gauges this year and learn how to do a proper charge. Maybe...

Back