• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9L V8 from grand cherokee

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
since all the search words are too small,

has any one done a 5.9L conversion?
i was looking on this site that sells jeep motors in return for your core, and i was thinking about putting a 5.9 in some time.

will it fit in a 95xj where an L-6 4.0 goes?
how much modifying will need to be done?

if theres already threads on this, please dont be rude and tell me to search for something i couldnt find, supply me with links please.

there is a guy here that has done a 5.2, im sure he will chime in, but i read his build thread and it seemed like more work than it was worth IMO. However, if you want to do it, go for it, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Well off the top of my head
Need to figure out tranny, which one you want and or adapters
no axles that came factory will hold up.
extensive unitbody plating and reenforcement
motor mounts
exhaust routing
belts
your radiator probably wont do and hoses
all the wiring
all dash gauges need to be converted if they dont plug and play which i doubt they will
engine accessories probably need to be rearranged
crossmember for tranny will probably want to be done
sending unit, fuel pump possibly tank need to assessed
and drive lines depending on tranny choice.
hmm what am i forgetting?

isnt the 5.9 larger than a chevy 350?

isnt the 5.9 larger than a chevy 350?

Same size. Also, from my measurements, a quick modification to the factory ZJ motor mounts and they will bolt into a XJ. Cooling is my only real concern. I have wired a 5.2 in a buggy before and can do it again. With a 5.2 or 5.9 and a 44RE tranny it would be almost the same length as a 4.0/AW4, within an inch or two shorter.

Easiest to wire in would be 95 or older 5.2 into a 95 or older XJ. They use the same computer and integrating the harness would be easier. Downfall for guys that have to smog is the transmission. The 44RH tranny is much longer and really sucks. I am looking at swapping in a 96+ 5.2/44RE into my 95 XJ.

if doing a 5.9 then why not the trans and tc thats behind a dodge ram 5.9. heck, even the engine and just buy it and install it as one. you know they would work together and its still chrysler products without adapters needed.

My motor went out and I had the same thought but realized that a tired old 5.9 out of a parts car would just not be worth the time for the power gains. I forget what they wanted around here for one and it was still expensive. I think a 4.7HO out of a grand was over $3k. Then you have to try and make everything work together. Add another grand in adaptors, wiring, modification to make the bigger motor fit. If you aren't doing it yourself then the hourly rate that most shops charge would be incredible.

If you want V-8 power then look at building a stroker. I should be sitting about 275HP and 325TQ with my 4.6 that should be done in a week or so. Forged pistons, moly rings, lunati cam... I'm sitting about 1000 in parts and should be about 1200 in machine shop. Then it bolts right in.

Parakeet

Well i will stand behind the 5.9 with out a doubt. I have that motor in my 97 dodge ram. I have never had any issue with that motor. Puts out decent power. Just watch out with the tranny if it is the same as the dodge's. I have heard numerous people having to replace the tranny. So do some research and make sure its not the same one

man what a douche bag reply. So all the guys that have stuffed v-8's in thier rigs should have bought a zj.... All the people that have built strokers should have bought a zj..... Maybe AEV should have bought a zj before they slapped a hemi in jk..... I'm guessing all those guys wanted v-8 power.

Parakeet

Agreed, but if you are going to put all that work into it, then why not go with a small block...twice the power and cant beat the simplicity...

I think the amount of work to get any V-8 in the engine bay of an XJ is going to give most people fits. Do a search on pirate. There is a guy that is putting a BBC and rocks in his and he had to completely cut the front "frame" and rebuild it new. I don't know what the OP fab skills are but it just seems like a lot of work.

If that's what somebody wants to do then great I would love to read the write up but don't ever see myself doing it. Me personally I will be getting my 4.6 Stroker back from the machine shop next week and will be able to get it bolted back in, in a day or so. (I'm a slow mechanic) All my sensors snap back in place, only have to have one adaptor to make one work. All said and done I should be able to have everything done for about 2500 bucks with the machine shop actually building the motor. My motor will be fresh and new with no power loss associated with 100,000 miles of unknown driving habits. Basically what you would get from a junkyard v-8.

To me a v-8 wasn't a very good option. But to each his own and I know I'll be plenty happy with my power output.

Parakeet

to me a 5.7 litre 350 would be the way to go

and 4wdparakeet. theres a huge difference between somebody putting a small block 350 in a cherokee, and big block 454. they cant be compared. yes ive seen that thread...and its a hack job

advance adapters has all the stuff you need to put a 350 in your junk. the 350 is a better motor then the 4.0, or grand cherokee 5.9. and has far more aftermarket and tranny options

IMO....the 5.9 is far superior to the 5.7 chevy simply because it is not a GM product, HOWEVER, having said that, the OP did not want to compare GM to ChryCo, he wanted to know about installing the 5.9 into his XJ. Im sure if he wanted to know about installing the chevy 5.7, he would have asked about that. Brand difference is all opinion and preference, so lets keep it on topic, or we will have a thread that refuses to die.....

The 5.9 you get is going to use the CCD bus exclusively for the guages and such, I would recommend this on a 97+ cherokee simply for the fact that you will be able to keep all your guages integrated easier than a 95. Even a 96 would be a better choice with the CCD bus.

This is turning into a pissing contest and we are starting to beat on a dead horse here. My point is for the money, the time, and the power gains, there are other ways to get the the same spot. Are the 350's reliable... well yeah, are the 4.0's reliable... well yeah. Would I enjoy a SBC in my XJ.... well yeah. Are the 5.9's good motors... not as good as others but still a solid engine. All three choices could be viable options.

But the fact of the matter is that not everybody is going to be up for the work that a v-8 swap of any brand. And more often than not the v-8 isn't going to be the end all be all that most people want when they do a swap.

When I decided to do a stroker I looked for a v-8 first but didn't see as many positives as the route I went. But I'm not a master fabricator by any means so this is what works for me. For someone else running different trails, or mud pits then a v-8 would be good for them. I like easy that's why I went with the stroker.

Besides god forbid the original poster see's other options than the godly 350 that has no equal

Parakeet

well i plan on getting a 280z project car and putting a chevy 350 in it, and if im lucky maybe the 427 if im thinking right.

but the stroker sounds like the way to go for my jeep. increased power, and less chance that i have to special order something because it wasnt really made for my jeep.

in the end the stroker probably would be cheaper.

thanks yall... BTW i am a fan of the chevy engines. Seems the 350's go in just about anything.

Back