• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling while engaging the clutch

*xj-man*

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have had this problem while offroading (in 4wd), but now its really bad. Whenever I push in the clutch to stop (stop sign, stop light etc.) the engine dies. I recently replaced the clutch, but I don't think that has much to do with it because it happened before the clutch replacement. The check engine light also came on. Any ideas??
1998 4.0 5spd

Check the codes and report back.

Well I have had this problem while offroading (in 4wd), but now its really bad. Whenever I push in the clutch to stop (stop sign, stop light etc.) the engine dies. I recently replaced the clutch, but I don't think that has much to do with it because it happened before the clutch replacement. The check engine light also came on. Any ideas??
1998 4.0 5spd

Just one question: Was the flywheel resurfaced?

When I'm sitting with the motor running, and push in the clutch it does not die. Only when I'm in motion, I guess anytime I need to stop and I push in the clutch it dies.

Is it possible the clutch is not completely releasing? When you are sitting in neutral and idleing, then push in the clutch and put it into first gear, does it want to stall and is it harder to put into gear with the motor running than it is with the motor turned off?

Helped troubleshoot something similar a couple of years ago.
His XJ would vibrate and want to stall when the clutch pedal was depressed while in gear.
Turned out it was an oil-soaked CPS connector, from leaking power steering.
Cleaned connector and replaced the CPS, worked for this situation.

Back