• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 speed guys:how much are you lifted with stock driveshaft?

veedubshafer

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering how much lift you are running with the stock driveshaft on a 5 speed rig - I am at about 5" and just welded up my 8.8 mounts after setting my pinion angle correctly - I need to put the rear back in and button it up but I am wondering if this is going to work - it actually looks like its going to be ok but we'll see - what have your experiences been?

i have 4.5 RE leafs in the back of mine so im right around the 5"s of lift or so and i ran my stock driveshaft for a while and it worked as far as i was concerned but i finally got an sye and when i took the old shaft out it was barely still on the output shaft so i recommend you buy a new one

but to answer your question it should work just watch it

oh, and to add this is a '90 so apparantly for some reason they aren't as prone to vibes but I don't really know why

1995 and earlier:
np231-1.jpg

1996 and later:
np231_transfer_case.jpg

The earlier cases are less prone to vibes because the tailshaft has more support from the housing, whereas the 96 and newer have much more of the shaft out in the open, not supported, and therefore more prone to being susceptible to vibes.

and to add toward answering the initial question, I had about 4" and no t-case drop with a very minor vibe, when I went up to about 5" I threw in the SYE at the same time...

my 89 ba-10 5spd with 3" lft leaf packs with a 1" lift shackle has no vibs. rear sits at about 4-4.5". the spring pack came with shims attached. i dont know what degree they are.

so, at 4-4.5" of lift, i get no vibs with a shim on the spring pack and a 1" lift shackle. no transfercase drop.

1995 and earlier:
np231-1.jpg

1996 and later:
np231_transfer_case.jpg

The earlier cases are less prone to vibes because the tailshaft has more support from the housing, whereas the 96 and newer have much more of the shaft out in the open, not supported, and therefore more prone to being susceptible to vibes.

and to add toward answering the initial question, I had about 4" and no t-case drop with a very minor vibe, when I went up to about 5" I threw in the SYE at the same time...

I should have known that considering I have a 231 from a '98 in my garage

Back