• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Surging

JeepBliss

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have an '89 XJ with almost 250xxx miles on it. It has been running fine until about a week ago. I was driving to work and at one of the stop lights I heard a loud popping noise, almost like pressure letting loose and breaking something. I checked all of the vacuum lines and they are fine. It's not the TPS cause I put a new one in. The only other thing I could think of is the timing chain?!
When you first start the jeep it runs ok, it surges from 15-25 mph, but once the temp gets up to normal it surges all the way from 0-45 then drives normal but only hits 60mph. At this point I have no idea what it could be. Does anyone have any suggestions and what I should check for?

Thanks.

Monique

blowing any smoke or anything? If it was a pop its gotta be something under pressure! vacuum hose would be first guess. I wouldnt overlook a headgasket, even thought that wouldnt really make a popping sound. If it was the timing chain I dont know that it would really drive at all. If it did, it wouldnt last very long I'm sure.

It will only go 60? Remove and analyze the spark plugs. Look for oily, big gaps, broken, and differences between cylinders. Lay them in order as you take them out so you know which cylinder they came from.

How many times has the fuel filter canister been changed?... cheap process of elimination to assure it's not starving for fuel, not to mention it's a good practice to change it every xxK miles due to the high miles and more crap in the tank as it gets older.

How many times has the fuel filter canister been changed?... cheap process of elimination to assure it's not starving for fuel, not to mention it's a good practice to change it every xxK miles due to the high miles and more crap in the tank as it gets older.

I just changed the fuel filter and the fuel pump, I would say about 1000 miles ago.

Back