• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Oil Pressure?

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
Oil Pressure fluctuates radically when the accelarator is pressed down. In Gear or Out.
This began after I changed the Oil? Any Relationship?
Could it be the oil pressure sending unit or the gauge?

This is normal. You should have a minimum of 13psi at an idle and IIRC 33psi at highway speed.

Filter brand, if you answer "Fram" change the filter to a better brand.
Check the sender, you might have knocked when changing the filter, it is right above it...

A tangent:

On our way back from Chicago last weekend I noticed the oil pressure was running about 10psi *higher* than normal at both highway speeds and idle. My first thought was something may be restricting the flow and therefore increasing the pressure. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Well guys,
The way it has been acting, it has been 40 at idle and way above 80 at speed!
I have heard that it is the sending unit, I am checking into that.
I did use a fram, but I will see if there is better.
Any suggestions?

mine is the same way with yours sprngflxj. i've replaced the senser cause i wasnt working before. And now with the new senser it works only when it wants to.

Are these prone to going out? Mine hasn't worked since I got it. It floats around 40 sometimes, then it will just layover for a little bit, then come back. :dunno:

fdsa487 said:
What is wrong with Fram?

Search "fram" on the site and you'll have a lifetime supply of posts to read through about how bad they are...i've seen what they do...old boss had one on his 98 XJ that I did some work on for him. When I went to pick it up to work on it he said "my oil pressure seems a little low lately...i just changed the oil and it's got the right ammount, see if you can find anything." Didn't even have to open the hood, all I asked was "fram filter?" he replied with...."well....yes." I advised him to spend a couple dollars more and get a napa gold, and it's like magic, oil pressure is right back up again to where it should be.

As for the guage moving, that's what it's supposed to do. obviously you're going to have higher pressure when the engine oil is cold than when it's hot. On my 4.0, once it's been running a while (say after i get off the highway for a bit or after running around town for a while) my oil pressure is about 19-20 at idle and up right around 40-45 while cruising. Completely normal.

:confused: I got into mine this morning and the pressure jumped up to 80. I took off it came down slightly. Normal since I got it Sunday has been 55 to 60 at speed and 60 when its cold, and drops to 40 after freeway driving. Anyways I watched it jump between 60 and 80 a few times. While I was driving this morning, the pressure would drop to 60 and when I would come to a stop it would rise again.:dunno: This is my first Jeep so I don't know what to expect.... It has a 4.0 HO

mine constantly stayed at 40 psi then i unplugged the wires to the sender and used dielectric grease and put it back and now it fluctuates with engine speed after it gets hot.

Hmm, I'll have to do some searching to see what the supposed gripe is with Fram. I've built many engines, had many cars, am a former ASE certified mechanic, and have *never* experienced problems using Fram filters. Take apart a Fram, AC, Motorcraft, Napa, you'll find very little difference between any of them. If your pressure is going down when you use Fram, it's because it is filtering better!

floyd said:
Hmm, I'll have to do some searching to see what the supposed gripe is with Fram. I've built many engines, had many cars, am a former ASE certified mechanic, and have *never* experienced problems using Fram filters. Take apart a Fram, AC, Motorcraft, Napa, you'll find very little difference between any of them. If your pressure is going down when you use Fram, it's because it is filtering better!

Post up what you find out!

old_man said:
This is normal. You should have a minimum of 13psi at an idle and IIRC 33psi at highway speed.
33psi at highway speeds? At idle mine sits around 25 (once it's run for a bit), but if I'm on the throttle (including cruise on the highway) it stays right around 50-55. This is with a mechanical oil guage, too. Normal or no?

Back