• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer Leafs?

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to need some new leafs soon, is there a leaf i can run thats maybe a little longer to improve a shackle angle at the same time while not killing my pinion angle? looking for around 4.5-5" of lift, any suggestions/theoretical problems?

You can also use 1/2 Ton Dodge van springs. They are about 2.5" longer.

70-97 1/2 Ton Van 23 x 31
84-01 Cherokee XJ 23 x 28-5/8

I run MJ leaves, well, the main leaf. It's 5" longer but takes some fab work to move the front spring hanger forward.

you can use the dodge van main and mixture of xj leaves.the older 1/2 ton mains are best, you will know when you find one, front eye bushing hole is 1.5" id, rear is 1' id.will be on B 150 and 200 vans.

yeah write up would be great! anyone ever try and use yota springs? they're only 2.25" wide, but here are the specs on the lengths, 56 5/8" long as measured along the top leaf. Pin to center of front mount is 27 1/2", pin to center of rear mount is 29 5/8". is this possible?

sorry those were the numbers for the rears, here's the fronts, Springs are 47" long as measured along the top leaf. Pin to center of front mount is 22" and pin to center of the shackle mount is 25", just thought fronts would handle more weight, maybe the rears would be better?

You would lose wheel base if you did that with the front springs.

It would take moving the front hanger foreword or your diff will be in the gas tank. Anything can be done, the real question is weather or not its worth the effort/cost

sorry those were the numbers for the rears, here's the fronts, Springs are 47" long as measured along the top leaf. Pin to center of front mount is 22" and pin to center of the shackle mount is 25", just thought fronts would handle more weight, maybe the rears would be better?

No reason to deal with thinner width springs, there are plenty of options in the correct width.

Got a write up?

Yeah, somewhere, but it was done a long time ago. I used MJ main leaves, which are 5" longer than XJ leaves, 57" vs 52", and 3" longer in front and 2" longer in the rear. The other springs were from a 1/2 Chev pickup in the junkyard, and I think a stock XJ leaf or two thrown in. There is one more leaf in the pass side than in the driver side, which I always do to counteract torque sagging of that side. I think the drivers side has 8 leaves and the pass side 9 leaves. I used a circle track car spring hanger laid on it's side to make moving the front spring hanger easier, plus it would allow some adjustment in the spring position (which I never used). I made my own boomerang shackle to handle the extra length in the back, just modified the longer shackle that I was already using.

standard.jpg

Goatman's turned out excellent. if you don't want to mess with reworking the front mount, do the dodge main same measurement to front mount and 2.5" longer in rear, will have to experiment to get 4.5", like your looking for.maybe dodge main, a couple of longer mj leafs,reaminder xj leafs.1.5" shackle,1" block, just a thought.

Back