• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusting Warn 9.5ti

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Hey...I've got about 20k miles on the Jeep since the lift and all, and my winch is stating to rust pretty badly. The control lever is spotting and many of the bolts are rusting and dripping the rust. Worst part, the grey finish hs started to bubble, flake off and corrode under it. Is this expected or do I need to put a call in to customer service? That thing would be a bitch to return...but its starting to look like crap...

Ya, I've seen a few Warn look like that. A couple of the vehicles at the beach I used to work at looked just like that. I'd say its somewhat normal.

I noticed the same problem with my 9.5 Si at about 6 months old. I was pretty pissed at the time. Mine's also got corrosion under the body paint as well. I'll probably media blast it this summer and repaint.

I noticed the same problem with my 9.5 Si at about 6 months old. I was pretty pissed at the time. Mine's also got corrosion under the body paint as well. I'll probably media blast it this summer and repaint.

everything I repaint sucks...I'ma call Warn tomorrow...

good call

I wanted the neoprene cover but they never actaully sold them anywhere, I looked for a while and gave up...I thought the other one looks like crap...and it trapped moisture

I ran a cover on my TJ's XD9000I for about 2 years. I noticed water tended to get trapped inside and rust was forming on the drum. Anyway I removed the cover, repaired the minor rust and stopped using the cover. That was roughly 5 years ago and the winch has been fine since.

Granted it might have been just as fine with the cover had I continued to use it. I'm in a pretty humid area of the country, so that may have something to do with it.

However, the rust on the Si on my XJ rusted way too fast. I should have made a stink about it with Warn.

I called Warn, they wanted me to ship it at a cost of like $100 to some shop in the middel of nowhere in the south...it continues to corrode. I'm replacing the cable this week...what should I repaint it with while the line is off? Beyond a wire brush and rattle can there isn't much I can do...I don't have media blasting gear, it would quite honestly be a pain just to remove it as I'm in an apartment parking lot that doesn't allow vehicle work...thoughts? What about a professional job at like a body shop or something...I could get a badass color...

Took ya long enough :laugh:

What about powedercoating? not sure how it would handle abuse from a steel cable but it would be a lot more corrosion resistant than paint and usually cheaper. Any metal parts could be coated.

The reason I suggest it is I just picked up a used winch with a solenoid problem and I'm thinking of having it coated while it's apart and running a synthetic line on it.

It sounds like it starting rusting immediately! Thats not normal. I was given an old M6000 winch that I sanded, primed, sprayed with some rust oleum and clear coated. Turned out pretty good.

Back