• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best and cheapest way to go from 3" to 4.5"

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
Im running a 3" rustys full leaf and coils lift right now and im interested in going higher to run 33's. money is tight, but at the same time i want to do it right. your opinions count beyond words so let me know what you think. TIA.

That's kind of conflicting...the best way isn't going to be the cheapest but if you're looking for the best compromise then you'll end up using spacers up front and shackles in the back. You don't need to go to a full 4" though. Get some 1" spacers and some stock MJ shackles and you'll be at 4".

Another option for the rear that is pretty cheap is to sell you spring pack and build one out of S-10 springs. If you do it the minimum way you'll be right at 4" just on the spring pack. You can usually get leaf springs for $30 a pair at a "you pull" junk yard.

Now, going from 3" to 4" (or 4.5") means you will definitely need an adjustable track bar (if you don't already have one) and most likely some longer LCA's. If you have a 97+, you will most likely need a SYE at that height. Hit or miss if it's a pre-97. My pre-97 needed one at 4.5". It wasn't bad but wasn't great either. I didn't want to leave something like that to chance.

You may just want to do what scully said...bumpstop and cut at 3".

Last edited:
I'm going from 3.5" to 5-5.5" right now.
I started with a RE 3.5" lift. I just added RC 2" shackles to the rear ($42 shipped from Jason at RC) and sold my 3.5" coils and bought some used RE 4.5" coils for the front.
I'm adding a hack n tap sye with front driveshaft and RC control arm drop brackets (found both of these items on here for $170 shipped and got the front d/s at the jy for $10). I already have an adjustable track bar installed and may be doing a drop pitman arm, depending on how things look.
Also added YJ brake lines for some more length ($26 from Rockauto)

You can go really cheap with just a coil spacer up front and shackles in the rear, but quality is going to be compromised if you don't already have aftermarket control arms and an adjustable track bar; you'll be needing those really. My advise is to look for deals on some used parts and sell whatever parts you take off yours.

Or, the cheapest way is to just cut your fenders a few inches to fit the 33's. I'm running 33's on the 3.5" lift right now. I had to cut 2-3" off the front and rear though. I installed TJ flares and it actually looks a lot better than the stock flares IMO.

OcalaTrip1-24-09069-1.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09070-1.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09074.jpg

Nice posts guys. what i had in mind was just adding to what i already have, i.e. shackles and spacers. i will also be doing a hack and tap so ill save a bit of $ there. what kind of shackles and spacers? are generic ones from PORC quality enough for this lift? i see i can get adjustable shackles (up to 2") for less than $50 and 1.75" coil spacer for $30. whats in a name when it comes to shackles and spacers?? id rather spend a little more if its gonna bring me alot further in quality. but all the same this is a budget build!

Poly spacers are cheap and easy for the front, brand probably won't matter much. I have Rocky Road. I also have their 1.5" shackles out back, very beefy but were a pain to wrestle onto the spring...I'm about to install JKS 1" boomerangs though to bring it back down a little. You'll want arms and most likely drop brackets at that height. Go through Rough Country, they have a very good price on adjustable arms and drop brackets. If you have new longer arms on there now from the 3", they may still work, you'll just want to ditch the stock uppers.

I just installed the RC adjustable shackles and they are really nice. Very beefy. Talk with Jason on here from RC. They are normally $50 + shipping. He got them to me for $42 shipped. Great deal for what they are.

I just installed the RC adjustable shackles and they are really nice. Very beefy. Talk with Jason on here from RC. They are normally $50 + shipping. He got them to me for $42 shipped. Great deal for what they are.

x2 on the RC shackles, great price shipped (thanks Jason). I'm in the process of doing a change from a 5" lift with 3" Pro-comp springs and a 2" Teraflex spacer in the front, and a 2" block/add-a-leaf in the rear, to a 3" OME lift with the RC shackles in the rear and keeping the Teraflex spacer in the front.

Back