• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vehicle painting question (perhaps do it yourself advice)

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
So i bashed my fender pretty badly at paragon this past weekend, and am lookin to remedy it. its kinked/bent beyond "buff out" repair. i can score a front fender pretty cheap off a junkyard but of course itll need to be painted. im not sure if it would be a wise job to tackle myself seeing as i would like it to match the rest of the body and look nice.

does anyone know what a ballpark price would be for somewhere to color match my emerald cherokees paint and to paint the outside of the fender? the inner side i would just leave whatever color it was. it would just be the fender(off of vehicle, seperate), no emblems or flares or anything.

or perhaps i am overestimating the know-how needed to do it myself? how could i color match or get a matched color if i were to do that? prep work?

sorry for the long question riddled post
i really have no clue about pricing or anything involved in prepping the fender, any help would be great

EDIT: and yeah i Just realized theres a paint/bodywork forum after lookin before :(

Last edited:
I needed to replace both fenders on mine. I finally got irritated with them not matching the vehicle and looked into getting the factory paint mixed up in aerosal form. It was going to be spendy that route (about 100 a can) and it still would have looked like a rattle can job. If you do the prep work (prime it and sand it out) you could take it to Macco and that would be the best route (economically and aesthetically). I kinda lost interest and just primed them white for now (my Jeep is white). I'll probably do something with them this summer to seal them up better.

maaco is probably the best route, when you get the fender it will have NOTHING on it but metal and a base coat. Have them paint the whole thing, with a new in the box fender the prep is minimal, quick rough sand, prepsol wipe down and shoot. I did our TJ last year, fenders, hood, grill, windshield frame, 97 and with the 'canned' fade table they use the color match was exceptional... he just plugged in 'northeast', 'not garaged' '8 years old' in the dupont mixer and it caculated the correct blend and that was Teal no less...or as my daughter calls it 'barbie blue'... :D

the fender im getting will be from a junkyard so already painted something else i assume, so theres be some stripping involved which i suppose i could do, given i knew what i was doing. good advice so far thoguh thanks a lot guys

100_8911.jpg

thats what it looks like, cant see in the reflection but the paint is pretty trashed too on it obviously

You won't need to strip the new fender. Just scuff seal and paint. Done deal. Certainly something you could probably do with the automotive rattle can stuff and have it be close enough for the girls I go with.

The rest of your jeep looks well worn so i'm not going to assume you're looking for a show quality job. But if you don't want to do it yourself ask around, I'm sure there is a local small time guy who could prep and spray them for a couple hundred bones out of his garage. Any place that supplies automotive paint should be able to match it close enough without any headaches and somebody who does paint regularly will no where to go for that.

Back