• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics & info request for side armor plating

robsjeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for info on companies offering front fender and rear quarter panel armor plating with pictures or ideas/tech from DIY'ers for a future project on my 2k XJ. Partly to cover up existing body damage and to guard against future damage. Thanks

i made some with some 1/8" plate. bolted to the jeep it follows the curve of the body good enough. sand can still get between them though, which I am less than ecstatic about, but it works.

n833730030_1594246_6115.jpg

For rear, go with thors. That's what myself, and many other PNW guys run. Talk to the guys at Auburncarrepair.com about getting a set, there's some on order now.

Thor4x4.com

This is an idea of what they look like, on my rig.
89897.jpg

~Scott

Last edited:
KTM RACER do you have write up or some better pics (up close) to see exactly how you made/shaped/installed them. Also how do they hold up to trees and rocks?
I've seen THOR's stuff but your look alittle well different and they were very pricey.

I'm looking for info on companies offering front fender and rear quarter panel armor plating with pictures or ideas/tech from DIY'ers for a future project on my 2k XJ. Partly to cover up existing body damage and to guard against future damage. Thanks

Pretty simple to make yourself, if you're so inclined. Mine are out of diamond plate aluminum, you can either do the small bend for the lips in the body line yourself by hammering them on the edge of a board, or have the place do it where you buy the diamond plate. To get the slight bow to match the body panels (which also makes them stronger) you can just start attaching at the bottom and work your way up. Mine are all attached with 3/16 aluminum rivets. I didn't put any sealer around them, figuring it was best in the long run to let any water run through and drain out.

standard.jpg

We're in the process of developing some but are looking at switching from steel to UHMW instead. Saves some weight, easier to work with and well...different.

Would definitely help slide over things, but do you think it will do much to reduce the chance of denting?

I'd have done it a little differently now;

6.jpg

poly3.jpg

I'd run the rear gaurd past the tail lamp, maybe a hole in it to keep a side marker. I've torn off tail lights, and reduce the fasteners by say 75%. I started off just making rear 1/4s but just kinda tried to keep things uniform and ended up with way to many rivets, ah well

Back