• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Centering / Alignment

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to center my hood bc i am need to install a cb mount bracket and i need that extra small bit of room.

I tried loosening the hood brackets but it seems the holes are not slotted and dont allow for play room ? The brackets on the hood itself are the same ?

Can someone help me out, there has to be a way of adjusting the hood left and right, not only up and down usingt the shims ?

pete

According to the FSM there should be some movement in the mounting of the hinges to the hood, because they recommend that you mark the hood before you loosen them. But I don't think that will change the front end of the hood, only straighten it relative to the fenders. If you can't get movement at the hood, but need more space at the edge, you might consider loosening the bolts that hold the top of the fender, and try enlarging the gap by moving the fender instead. There's not a lot of movement there, but there is some.

Well i took one of the bolts off completely and there is a slot on the hood hinges but only in the up and down movement not right and left ?

pete

jeepsrock said:
Well i took one of the bolts off completely and there is a slot on the hood hinges but only in the up and down movement not right and left ?

pete

Yes, I think the only thing you can really adjust there is to make sure the hood seams are more or less parallel, but you can't really shift it around. Even if you did manage to shift the hinge end, you'd still have to do something at the front to compensate. All I can think of to shift it without skewing it would be to enlarge the holes in the hinge, and try also to move the strikers. Otherwise I think your best option is to push back the top of the fender.

Pete, your inbox was full, and this is what I replied to your PM:
Hi Pete.
First mark the original positon of the hood/hinges; I used a Sharpie marker pen. Then loosen the hinge bolts and move the hood to center it, then tighten the bolts.

After you get the hood centered, you may need to adjust the striker bars to get the hood to close smoothly. Try to get them in the middle of where the V-latch comes down when you close the hood. I ran out of adjustment on one side, and had to remove a headlight bucket to access the hold-down bolts on that side. There are two and are easily reached with a socket and short extension.

It helps to have an assistant to help center the hood when you loosen the bolts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the other posters stated, there's not much room for adjustment, so the tip of enlarging the slots might work. If you're wanting to move the hood forward, you can shim up the hinges where they attach to the firewall.

ROE

Back