• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I do any damage to my AW4

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
Apparently after I added a tranny cooler I never properly checked the fluid level and it was low. I ran it for about 15 mins yesterday and I did not even have fluid touching the dip stick. But it has never not gone into gear and has shifted correctly. I have only took it out one time for an off-road event and flogged it pretty hard. My question is did I do any damage to the tranny or am I just over reacting?

Last edited:
My best friend is the trans tech at our local Jeep dealership. He said he has never replaced an aw4. He used to get them towed in off the interstate with a blown cooler hose, or fitting, and no fluid at all. Fix the leak, fill it with fluid, and as long as it pulls it's good to go.

I, personally have never seen an AW4 go out, but I know others on here have. I would say that if it never quit pulling, and you added fluid to make it right, it should be O.K.

How much fluid did you add to bring it up to full?

If the fluid looks red and don't smell burnt you maybe okay.

Time will tell...

Nick

I had a pinched transmission line that sprayed fluid out. I didn't notice it until my AW4 started dropping into neutral while at a stop. I got it into a parking lot while it was dropping between drive and neutral. Temporarily fixed the line, filled it with fluid again, and all was well. Then the temporary fix undid itself and it happened again. That all happened about a year ago. I have since replaced the lines and have no problems whatsoever. AW4 = amazing.

"Bout 4 yrs. and 60K miles ago I blew a tranny cooler line and lost ALL my fluid. Didn't know it til 5-10 miles when the Jeep just wouldn't go any more. I was on a dirt road twenty miles from the nearest pavement. Camped there, sent a freind to get 8 qts. of Dex.

Filled it up the next morning after fixing the line, going strong ever since. 225K now.

I'd say you're good.

the clutch packs inside my old AW4 went out last year. my trans was slipping a little bit before but i really didnt think too much of it. well, the trans barely got me to the camp ground in moab. i spent the fall fling replacing the trans.

the replacement has been great since. i was told that my jeep is the third that this one has been in. not too bad if you ask me.

IF, when you refill it, it works then i would say all is ok. you may want to drop the pan and check what the resisual fluid looks like. refill and see how it is.

Back