• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best coils in the 5.5-6.0 inch range?

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I am going to be shopping for a new set of front coils and am planning to spend $150 - $250 range. I'm putting a long arm on at the same time, I DD this vehicle and most of the 4x4ing I do is trails and rocks. Who makes good ones?

I would stay away from deavers - my buddy had them and the 2nd day out on them the pass. side busted right in half and they wouldnt warranty it because they said he must have done something to make that happen - very poor.

DPG 5.5" coils have worked out really well for me... dpgoffroad.com that is pretty bizzare for deavers to do that, and i am surprised they didnt do anything about it.

I would stay away from deavers - my buddy had them and the 2nd day out on them the pass. side busted right in half and they wouldnt warranty it because they said he must have done something to make that happen - very poor.

i guess things like this happen, and its a shame deaver treated it lamely...
but i still recommend them.

theyre definately a niche product though

DPG 5.5" coils have worked out really well for me... dpgoffroad.com that is pretty bizzare for deavers to do that, and i am surprised they didnt do anything about it.

I called Dirk a few weeks ago and asked to purchase a set of their trailgunner rear springs and coils. He said he was out of stock, and didn't plan on stocking back up anytime soon because of how the economy is right now.

I'm not sure if it was with regards to just the leaf springs, but I had to go with the RE 5.5" springs, and a set of BOR leaf packs.

Scott

Where are you guys getting the deavers from? I did a search and from their site they only list "jeep" coils and at $275 a set.

All that matters is the spring rate. What are you running now and do you want new coils that are softer or firmer? I wouldn't buy any coil just from someone else saying they like them, without knowing something about the stiffness/rate. Each person has a different preference and experience. At least ask how the person recomending the coil uses them and how they feel verses other coils that they've run.

What do you want the new coil to do?

I'm also running a lift in the 5.5 - 6" region. Currently I have RE 4.5" coils with a 1.75" spacer. I have an ARB bumper with a Warn M8000 winch. I've been considering to replace them with the RE 5.5 coils - I believe these have a higher spring rate than the 4.5" ones. Does anybody have an idea how much the RE 5.5 ones would sag with the bumper and winch? I prefer a firmer ride.

I'm also running a lift in the 5.5 - 6" region. Currently I have RE 4.5" coils with a 1.75" spacer. I have an ARB bumper with a Warn M8000 winch. I've been considering to replace them with the RE 5.5 coils - I believe these have a higher spring rate than the 4.5" ones. Does anybody have an idea how much the RE 5.5 ones would sag with the bumper and winch? I prefer a firmer ride.

Check this out.
Springs heights and their spring rates? - JeepForum.com

Right now I'm running Rough Country 4.5" coils and the reason I'm shopping for new coils is that I am currently running a set of Alcans in the rear that I had built for me at 4.0" in conjunctio with my longer shakles in the back and the compression I have from my front bumper up fromt I am sitting with my back end way up in the air probly at least 2" or so. I'm getting good flex from the R/C's but I'm also up grading to LA's and 35's while I'm at this and want a spring thats going to complement the new front suspension. This is my primary DD but when I do get off road I get up in the rocks and a lot of trail duty. Seing as the current springs are the only ones I have ever run in a cherokee other than the stock ones. I don't really know what I need spring rate wise.

Last edited:
Iguess what I'm really would like to know is whether the extra for the deavers is going to be worth it compared to running say a set of the RE 5.5"s. I keep reading that stiffer coils are better which seems kind of couter intuitive for what you would need for wheeling.

For high speed, stiffer is better. For crawling, to a certain extent, soft is better. Take your pic as to which you like. If you want to do a dual purpose, go stiffer. It's easier to crawl a pre runner than pre run a crawler. At least that's my logic...:)

im running the rubicon 5.5 longarm kit on mine and its pretty much a DD that gets wheeled on the weekends but it rides great on the street and i wouldnt consider any other set of coils. they have a semi firm ride on the road but once you hit the trail they flex like crazyyyy. very happy :clap:

Back