• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack mounted lights

I went off one side of the light bar and down the front edge of the door frame hidden in the rubber weather stripping to the side of the dash then over to the firewall plug.

Thanks for the suggestions. I take it everyone is trying to avoid drilling a hole in the roof? I don't really mind drilling as long as I can keep it waterproof.

Just got the lights mounted so I'll take a closer look at the wiring now. Running through the hatch is a long way to go... too much wire and voltage drop. I'll take a look at the door before I drill anything.

I can't believe it would be that hard to seal a hole in the lid: I've looked at many motor homes riddled with holes for to much roof mounted equipment.

My confidence runs further; being a high-end roofer I have installed many windows and various ancilaries requiring "modified solutions". Meaning, sealants were used.

On all of these projects, where I used either one part urethane or silicone, thoroughly cleaning the surface is a must. I prefer to use alcohal but I believe brake cleaner will work very well also. Spray or pour the cleaner on a rag and wipe it down then allow it to dry completely. It would also be important to insure that the wire or cable is secure so it dosen't whip in the wind or snag on branches.

The only other note is to ensure that the silicone is non-corrosive.

i ran my rack lights through the roof on my last rig and sealed it with a well fitting gommet and silicone over it. wasnt the cleanest look but never leaked

ive seen wiring ran through the roof underneath the factory rack rails too. that way the holes are covered and looks cleaner

I went off one side of the light bar and down the front edge of the door frame hidden in the rubber weather stripping to the side of the dash then over to the firewall plug.

X2, thats how i did mine and it works great. good way and you dont have 2 drill through the roof

I went ahead and run the wire along the roof rack, into the channel from the factory rack rails (via a drilled hole), forward and out another hole. It then drops though yet another hole in the rain gutter and inside on the top of the door frame. The wire gets pretty mashed but it has a beefy jacket. I'm going to have to keep a close eye on it. If it turns out to be wearing, I'll just drill a hole in the roof and route a new wire.

On the subject of roof rack mounted lights, I didn't feel like paying $30 for Garvin's light mounts for the Wilderness Rack. I made mown out of a section of 2" square tubing. It was quick and easy and works great.

[FONT=&quot]For installing lights, antennas and external cameras in boats and motor homes, I use various thru-hull fittings from West Marine. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]None of them are cheap but they are designed to work in harsh environments.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Below is a sampling of what is available.[/FONT]
http://tinyurl.com/cknz93
http://tinyurl.com/d2hozb
[FONT=&quot]http://tinyurl.com/c8vzwg[/FONT]

Back