• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disk brake upgrade question

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been reading and reading and reading. Something that I have found is that when you swap from drums to disk you can get the brake parks off of a ZJ or a KJ. The question is which one is better? Why?? Which one need the least amount of moding to work? How much better is a ZJ master cyclinder? Thanks in advance for any help. So for a ton of questions all at once.

I have been reading and reading and reading. Something that I have found is that when you swap from drums to disk you can get the brake parks off of a ZJ or a KJ. The question is which one is better? Why?? Which one need the least amount of moding to work? How much better is a ZJ master cyclinder? Thanks in advance for any help. So for a ton of questions all at once.

It depends on what rear axle you are running on your jeep.
for a 35 or 44 the ZJ rear disc are a direct fit, use ZJ disc on the 8.25 & You have to grind open the caliper mounting plates a bit to make them fit.
KJ (Liberty) disc are a direct fits on the 8.25 but are very hard to find, At least around here!

Last edited:
Don't know about the KJ,but I have done the ZJ discs on my Dana44.Not all that hard of a swap.Had to open up the center hole on the caliper mount just a little,and redrill 2 flange bolt holes on axle tube.On a D35 bolt holes are the same.The parking brake cables from the ZJ are also needed and relocate the bracket on the xj where the 2 cables meet the 1 from the front.I bolted my bracket in the driveshaft tunnel straight behind the handle assembly,remove rear seat drill two holes and bolt in .This makes both rear cables long enough,otherwise the right cable is too short to reach the bracket mounted on drivers side frame.It will all hookup with no other mods.I have a 99' and haven't changed the proportioning valve and works fine but have heard earlier jeeps need a ZJ pro valve.Best mod I have done to my jeep.

Back