• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions for those with snorkels

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about picking up a Safari Snorkel and was wondering if those who have snorkels have noticed any of the following:

Have you noticed an increase or decrease in gas mileage?
Have you noticed an increase in wind noise, particularly at highway speeds?

Any other considerations I should be thinking of?

I'm thinking about picking up a Safari Snorkel

Any other considerations I should be thinking of?

Yes, an Airflow snorkel from DPG. Higher clearance than safari, and about a million time better routing of the hose. Not to mention cheaper. [size=-2](you can only use airflow if you don't have ABS though)[/size]

I at first noticed what seamed like a decrease in mileage when I put mine on. I reset the computer settings and it seamed to go back to normal, maybe slightly better. Don't count on a significant jump here.

No increased noise. The only thing I can think of is that you can hear the snorkel "sucking" air when you are standing next to it. Nothing to fret about.

Thanks for the response. The reason I'm looking at the Safari is because I have $250 worth of gift certificates for Quardatec and they only carry the Safari.

Also keep in mind that you can only run the Airflow if you don't have ABS, That is why i I have a safari... I did do a custom routing just like Eric's XJ...I went through the side of the fender under the computer and bought a drain grate with a lip that went on the inside of the air box....much less bends and higher clearance
Here you go...

snorkel03.jpg

snorkel04.jpg

snorkel05.jpg

That's exactly how I ran my hose.

I was going to post pics, but those are better than any I have of mine!

Robert

I ran my hose the same way also. I didnt notice any positive or negative effects as far as mileage or power with my Safari. No wind noise either, but it does sound pretty cool when you romp on the skinny pedal. You can certainly hear the 4 liter.....

~James

On a side note, where can I see more pics of the blue XJ? I would like to see a side view of the fender trimming...

On a side note, where can I see more pics of the blue XJ? I would like to see a side view of the fender trimming...

Ericsxj.com

Thanks guys. I don't have ABS or Bushwhackers and don't intend to add either. :)
I think I'll snag one and do an alternate hose routing. My main concern was noise at highway speeds and a drop in the already pitiful MPG. We take a few long trips in it and 10 hours of whistling or other noise on top of all the other road noise might put me over the edge.

Back