• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep (97 XJ) flooding out?

John in AZ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I usually don't need to much help on this stuff but I am having a hard time figuring this out. I searched but it seems like that people that have posted similar problems never come back & say what fixed it.
My jeep starts to miss if I try to push it hard at all lots of bogging & black smoke out of the tail pipe. Jeep used to run fine but would not run out well but if you drove it easy was no problems other than crappy mileage. When I bought it the morons that owned it before had removed the thermostat but I have replaced it with a stock one. Guage showes it is getting up to proper temps. Should I replace the 02 senser? hard to tell how old but could it really cause it to pour that much fuel in? or what other sensors should I look at? There is no check engine light on until I un plugged the 02 senser (no change in running) & re hooked it up & unplugged the manifold air temp sensor caused light but no change.
TIA
John

Back