• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Question

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I've already done a search and can't seem to find any information on my question. Yesterday I scored a 2 speed electric fan from a 3.8 Lincoln Mark VIII at the junk yard. I got to researching a swap/upgrade for my 97 XJ, and realized that the fan draws a nice chunk of amperage.

Today I started checking parts stores websites and discovered there is a 90 amp alternator (that I knew about), but Autozone & Advance also has a 120 amp alternator. O'riley's lists a 90 amp and a 136 amp alternator.

My question is, is there any way visually you can tell the difference between these alternators on the jeep? Even though I doubt it, I'm holding on to a slim hope that I have the higher output alternator on my Jeep.

Grab a alternator from a ZJ, durango, dakota with the V8. Those are all 136A and with a little grinding to the bracket they fit nicely. I have a 01 XJ and I believe mine stock was 117A??? you most likely will have 90amp since yours is pre 99. That's what I know, hope I'm not wrong.

I am on a quest to upgrade my 90 amp unit as well. IT is my understanding that ZJ Grand Cherokee Limiteds with the 5.2 have 136 amp alternators. Although I've also heard they possibly came with 120's. Basemodels with the 4.0 came with 90 amp or very rarely 120 amp, like on police equipped Cherokee's.

I took a spare to get rewound to 140 to a guy I trust here in Indy, he said he would have to order a stator and high output would be limited to spinning some RPM's. He ordered me a new 136amp for about 20$ more then the rebuild cost. and will get more output at low rpm. I electrically challenged(I am a plumber) but he assured me the new one was the way to go along with 5-90's cables I ordered. After some math, I decided that a new 136 should be plenty for what I need.

A designed from the ground up high output alternator is always better than a re-worked alternator which usually have very little output at low RPM where our 4.0L engine spend most of its time. Get the one that is designed for the higher out put. You will not regret it.

I am using one from a V8 Durango. I am amazed at the power available at idle speed.

OK, got around to installing the alternator that shop sold me. After some research found it was to a Dodge Caravan among others. Did NOT fit. what a pita, was slightly larger frame and hit engine, even with some grinding. Both auto electric shops here in Indy said that rewinding isn't an option as they have little output at idle that way. Guess a ZJ or durango is the only option at this point... will look into getting a new V8 ZJ and see how that goes. Are all the V8 Durangos the same alt? will look for one of those as well.

Does anybody know exactly what amp alternator a V8 ZJ Limited with the 5.2 uses?

Like I said I thought it was either 90 or 120, although I am not sure. I kept hearing about Grand Cherokee's having 136 amp but that's WJ's like a 1998 and such. Not ZJ.

Yes yes!

BTW my friend's 96 Grand Cherokee Limited with 5.2 has the 136 amp. Part number matches up with one of the write up's. Although it says 1997-1998 only for 136 amp. Wierd.

Part number 5602 7913

Now I know what to look for in the yards! But the 5.2's are more hard to find, 4.0 ZJ's are more likely. Also I was very mad last time I went to the junkyard becauze they didn't have ONE XJ! Usually they at least have 6 or so...

Last edited:
note, the 5602 7912 is 117amp... missed a number, now I got a spare..., now wondering if its the larger body... hrm guess I can go out in shop and play with a motor laying on the floor...

Back