• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel tank removal qs...

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm thinking of replacing the stock fuel tank (especially if I end up mangling the thing if the old fuel pump doesn't 'turn' like it's supposed to... brings back memories of mangling the heck out of the donor jeep fuel tank.)

There's these long bolts hanging from the belly of the Jeep at the front of the fuel tank that hold the straps and everything up, and I was wondering what size of wrench to use? I can't seem to get one to work as they're either just a smidgen too small, or too large. I tried both metric and SAE to no avail.

I'm considering cutting them as they're spattered with undercoating and covered with rust (being a michigan jeep... go figure) and getting new ones... are they included in a fuel tank 'hanger' kit, or do they just have the 'straps' that go around the fuel tank? I'll check around at the local stores, and see if they're available...

Any other 'tips' would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
I ended up replacing those hanger bolts, with lag bolts from Home Depot, just bend a right angle in them near the head, and they work just fine.

On my 93 the nuts on the hanger bolts require a 9/16 wrench. I also have a Michigan Jeep with a lot of rust/dirt, but a little PB Blaster took care of that and I did not have to cut/replace them. However it's always an option.

On my 93 the nuts on the hanger bolts require a 9/16 wrench. I also have a Michigan Jeep with a lot of rust/dirt, but a little PB Blaster took care of that and I did not have to cut/replace them. However it's always an option.

Hmmm... maybe they've been replaced before with some oddball size.:looney:

I replaced mine aswell. To take them off i just used a ratcheting 14mm (?) wrench.

the hardest part of the fuel tank drop was getting the Inlet hose out.

I replaced mine aswell. To take them off i just used a ratcheting 14mm (?) wrench.

the hardest part of the fuel tank drop was getting the Inlet hose out.

vouch this.

the inlet hose is a major pain, espeically getting the clamps off. if you are having trouble with these clamps or hoses ill give you a brief description of easy removal. (i've dropped my tank 4 times in the past 4 months trying to solve a fuel pump issue, got pretty good at it)

exactly. i've done it twice now, i learned to just take the Metal plate out. the one thats holding the inlet pipe in place, it makes it so much easier, that first time was a pain!

I was thinking of getting a new inlet and vent hose... or at least dremeling off the old hose clamps. I ended up doing this on the fuel line as that hose clamp was siezed up really bad, and I'm not exactly patient.

Iif yoku want to know what dimensions, other than length, are for the tank hanger bolts, look at the bolt that holds your spare tire in. It's the same thread, same head, just usually bent, and a little shorter.

vouch this.

the inlet hose is a major pain, espeically getting the clamps off. if you are having trouble with these clamps or hoses ill give you a brief description of easy removal. (i've dropped my tank 4 times in the past 4 months trying to solve a fuel pump issue, got pretty good at it)

fire away for good measure. Never know how easy (or difficult) this will get.

The easiest way I've found to remove a gas tank is:

1.) loosen the hanger bolts until there is only 1/4 in of threads left
2.) disconnect the vent hose from the metal line. This will be a short piece of hose hooked to a T connector. You do not have to disconnect any of the vent lines from the T connector.
3.) disconnect the return fuel line from the fuel line. This is a short right angle'd piece of hose that connects your fuel pump to the fuel (metal) line. It's easier to disconnect the hose from the fuel line. Watch out when you pull this line, it may have a little bit of gas left in it that will drain out.
4.) disconnect the electrical connector
5.) unscrew the bolt that is on the top of the fuel filter bracket, then disconnect the fuel line from the backside (inlet) of the fuel filter. When you pull this line off a lot of gas will spill. I would suggest getting a bucket or some kind of catch for the gas.
6.) Center a jack undeneath the tank so that the tank balances on the jack.
7.) Take the nuts off the hanger bolts, remove the hangers, and let the tank rest on the jack. (by doing this first it allows the tank to move more freely and gives a little more hand room to remove the inlet hoses)
8.) now remove the inlet hoses. The easiest way to do this is first take off the metal cover on the outside of the frame. This will allow the hoses to move easier and gives a better torque position. Loosen up the clamp on the larger hose first and move it up the hose and out of the way. Then loosen up clamp on the smaller hose. (the easiest way to get to this is to use a 1/4in ratchet, 2 long extensions, a flexible extension, short extension, then the correct size socket of the clamp head. If anyone has an easier way of getting to this clamp, please say something, but this is what I found to be the easiest) Pull off both the hoses.
9.) Lower the jack slowly and slide the tank off the jack backwards.

Reverse these steps to reinstall.

Tips:
- use a socket to remove the clamps, if they are rusty a screwdriver will strip them out
- to remove stubborn hoses, use a pair of channel locks and twist the hose while pulling. all hoses will come off, some are more frustrating than others and will take steady pulling pressure + turning to remove.
- when reinstalling the hoses, put a little bit of lube (such as grease) on the inside of the hose to reduce friction. if you put too little lube on it will be tough to push in, if you put on too much lube while trying to put the clamp on the hose will start pulling itself off.

This process was done on a 93 jeep cherokee. Not knowing what year your jeep is these steps may not be exact, but should be close. Good luck and try not to get too frustrated! hoses and clamps can be a pain in the ass.

Nick's post is informative and useful unless you live in the rust belt, and your tank has been in for a long time. In that case, you will go wrong right at step one.

The modified version goes like this:

1: go to step 6 immediately, and put a jack under the tank.

1.1: shear hanger bolts off.

...now proceed, using jack rather than bolts to lower tank gradually.

Nick's post is informative and useful unless you live in the rust belt, and your tank has been in for a long time. In that case, you will go wrong right at step one.

The modified version goes like this:

1: go to step 6 immediately, and put a jack under the tank.

1.1: shear hanger bolts off.

...now proceed, using jack rather than bolts to lower tank gradually.

:laugh2: true though... I'm thinking of doing this and what BrokenXJ said about home depot lag bolts.:thumbup:

I like how nick's instructions were detailed and stuff though.:thumbup::thumbup:

I spent time visiting the GF (if i didn't...:flame::smsoap::flame:) so I haven't gotten around to much yet... then monday when I have time, they say it'll snow.(n)

I cut the fuel tank straps at the rear (supporting tank with jack) and one hose clamp twisted itself off and the other I used a dremel tool on and carefully cut off.

The nuts were 9/16, and rust was on them and made them thicker... I ended up having to use heat and really working to get the wrench on to get them to come off.

c0c2486a.jpg

456f0c28.jpg

9439524b.jpg

Back