• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD MJ TO 4WD

AJXJ923

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i am new to the hole xj/mj stuff and i was thinking about picking up an mj but the only problem is, its only 2wd. my question is.. how hard is it to make it 4wd. what all is involved?

here is my basic list

-front axel
-transfer case
-front driveshaft
-msc stuff.

is the front basically the same on a 2wd as the 4wd? or are the mounts different?

thanks for your help!
AJ

4wd transmission
transfer case
4x4 front axle
front driveshaft
4x4 rear driveshaft
shift linkage (buy the Novak, save yourself trouble)

me too :) and stop over at CC and introduce yourself.....

The only thing that you can't source off an XJ for the conversion is the rear driveshaft. You'll need to either find a 4WD MJ with the same driveline and bed size as yours and use the DS from it or have your old 2WD one cut down. Front DS you can use from an XJ that has the same drivetrain as your MJ.

Jeff

(IMO) Get a donor XJ and tow it home. It can be cheaper that way then one part at a time. If you carefully pick your donor you could save a ton. As in getting a front axle with the larger U joints the first time and not paying more to upgrade later. A 231 or 242 depending on witch one you like. A D 44 or a 8.25 could be had if lucky. Not at true drop in dif. But many have reported just flexing the springs out a bit to make them fit with no problems. If your very carefull/lucky you could end up better gears, lockers. LSD etc. luck

Back