• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding a Vacuum Disconnect Dana 30

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever done this in conjunction with a posi cable? I only drive my jeep to the trails so it is not a daily driver. Why can't this be done? If you have had direct experience with this please chime in. I know a lot of people say not to, but I can't figure out why it wouldn't work with a posi cable.

Last edited:
Here is a quote I just read in another thread.

"I ran welded for a couple years on a daily driven rig with 33" TSL's (Not my daily driving tires..I used others for the street) and a disconnect style front axle. I had used a pneumatic toggle switch on the disconnect so I could switch it manually.

On try roads in 2wd it was invisible because of the disconnect. The biggest problem I had which is what caused me to put in a lockright instead occured during the winter. When in 4wd in snow if I had the front axle shaft disconnect engaged the front would be fully locked and cause nasty understeer. If I disengaged the disconnect the front driver side tire would still be directly coupled to the rear tires and drivetrain in 4wd so it would pull the truck left and right as you let off and on the throttle respectively. Either way the winter characterisitcs were less than ideal."

This will not be driven in snow so I am not worried about that.

From what I have read it would really only be a problem when in 4wd and trying to make a tight turn. Then you could just disengage to 3wd with the posi cable.

Ok i know its an old thread but wanted to add my 2Cents none the less, I run a welded D30 with a Posi lock and 31's on my daily driver and it has been very reliable (been running it welded for a lil over a year) and also run a locked Non C D35 rear. the only time i ever broke anything on the D30 was at full steering lock and even then it was a u-joint that broke. one thing to keep in mind is what type of wheeling you do, don't let people push you into the more extreme gear because they say its better, you don't haft to have an extreme rig to enjoy the less extreme trails, but that's my own opinion. (in not a rock crawler, just a trail jockey)

Back