• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sluggish

Run a key test and see what MIL codes are stored.
A bad TPS can mess with your timing.
A sensor messing with your timing or fuel mix.
The motor isn't breathing right, plugged at one end or the other or the compression is low.

Quote: A bad TPS can mess with your timing.

Hallo. 8Mud. Is it not the CPS you are talking about?

Both input the timing, along with the MAP.
I was thinking maybe a flat spot in the TPS, had a Renix that did that, had a dead spot at a round 1/3 throttle. The motor kind of lost all it's get up and go at lower RPM's. Felt like a timing problem. maybe injector pulse width, hard to say for sure.
Weak CPS signal can also cause it to run crappy. When my 96 CPS was going out, the motor would barely run and I never really succeeded in getting any RPM's out of it. Same when my ASD relay was acting up.

Hallo. to get codes on the engine light, turn the ignition key ON,OFF,ON,OFF and finally ON. The codes will flash on the Check Engine Light.
On my '92 there are codes with 2 figures. Blinks. pause Blinks.
5 blinks pause 5 blinks = 55. means end of Code test. :shhh:
2 blinks pause 4 blinks = 24. means TPS problem.
etc.

Last edited:
Before you start chasing electrical gremlins, how are the mechanicals. Have you checked your compression lately? If you have a gage, or can get one, this is a good idea. Pulling the spark plugs out and checking them for color is a good indicator too. If they are dark or oily, your compression could be low. If the gap is too big, more than 0.050", that could be a problem.

Back