• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise went out...

DanHfmn

NAXJA Forum User
So yesterday coming home the cruise decided not to work. I tried to turn it on once I jumped on the highway and nothing...

The 'Cruise' light comes on when I turn it on, but it doesn't set when I push the button.

Not sure if my brake switch is bad or not, however my brake lights still work when I push the brake, is there another switch to check?

I also checked out the vaccum line that comes off the cruise control thing (passenger side by the power dist box). There's a big line that comes off the engine, loops around the back of the engine compartment, wraps around up to the battery and goes to that ball looking thing behind the front bumper. The cruise control actuator(?) ties into that line right by the battery. Between where it ties in and the ball looking thing there was a hole in the vaccum line, I taped it up good, but still no go.

Where the vacuum line ties to the engine - the 90 degree elbow adapter is dry rotted a bit, but when I blew/sucked on the end of the line it didn't leak.

What else can I check?

'01 XJ, stock cruise, Automatic.

with the engine running, test(pull the line off) to see if you have vacuum at the actuator.

the brake light switch is a combination switch for the cruise control and brake lights, just because you brake lights doesnt mean the cruise part of the switch is working

+100 on the above statement. My cruise did the same thing and the brake lights worked fine. Try pulling the pedal towards you while driving and yet the cruise. Mine worked this way. Purchased a new switch and everything works great. Removing the switch you just twist and pull.

Also check it behind the battery going to the resivoir, it tends to get corroded back there.

I pulled the vacuum line off the actuator today and got a big hiss, and it's got a pretty good suction.

I tried lifting the brake pedal, but it really doesn't lift up at all.

Does autozone stock those brake switches?

I was reading in another post about applying the brakes slightly when above 45mph to see if the rpm's jump up. I guess applying the brakes releases the torque converter? Kind of like putting the jeep in 3 instead of over drive? However when I push on the brake with my left foot, my rpm's do not change. Not sure what that might mean...

Same symptoms I had when my brake switch went out. No cruise and the TC wouldn't unlock. It won't go far but my pedal came up far enough to have the cruise work and when I let off the pedal the tc would unlock briefly. Checked sells them. I just bought mine from the dealership for 17 bucks.

Tough to replace? I would think my rpm's would be high right now at 70mph if the tc was messing up.

So would I notice anything? Or it just doesn't unlock as soon as it would?

Tough to replace? I would think my rpm's would be high right now at 70mph if the tc was messing up.

So would I notice anything? Or it just doesn't unlock as soon as it would?
No, i didn't experience any unlocked symptoms such as high revs. Mine was just being pushed in enough to shut the lights off. It never affected the TC except for the not unlocking. If it's not jumping in revs when you hit the brakes and the cruise is not working I can almost guaruntee it's the brake light switch. Super easy to change. Did mine in the parking lot in about a minute. Look up under the dash it's a little white box that sits in a bracket against the brake pedal. Grab it and twist counter clock wish, then pull towards you. Disconnect the elec connector. Installation is the opposite.

Back