• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble w Trans QD?

NWPhotog

NAXJA Forum User
Just replaced the radiator on my 96 4.0 6 cylinder Cherokee. Everything seems good except for the the QD on the lower trans line that mounts to the radiator. I can jam it on sort of ok but I can wiggle it off with out too much difficulty.

When removing it off of old radiator it was almost impossible to get off. I ended up unscrewing the fitting from the radiator, removing the radiator, then removing it. New radiator, CSF 3 row all metal, has fitting soldered on to it. I tried QD on new one it slipped off with just a little effort. Tried it on old fitting and I could barely get it off at all again.

Figured maybe the plastic part of QD was an issue so I replaced it with a part from Autozone. Now symptom is the same with both the new and old fitting. I can jam it on good but it can be wiggled off with effort. Any solutions short of cutting the QD off?

Yep, if I can't get qd issue resolved that will be my next step. I guess I just hate to give up on something so simple.

I have the same question.

I have about 200 extra pounds in the front of my xj and would like something I could daily drive with.

cut the metal tube on the cooler line with a pipe cutter, put a piece of oil cooler hose over it and the fitting at the radiator (available at any parts store) and put 2 hose clamps on each end. double clamping it helps ensure oil won't seep past the first clamp and leak. I've had mine like that in 3 different XJs with no problems whatsoever and I've done it as a fix to countless others for people.

cut the metal tube on the cooler line with a pipe cutter, put a piece of oil cooler hose over it and the fitting at the radiator (available at any parts store) and put 2 hose clamps on each end. double clamping it helps ensure oil won't seep past the first clamp and leak. I've had mine like that in 3 different XJs with no problems whatsoever and I've done it as a fix to countless others for people.

^^Excellent advice.

It can not be stressed enough to avoid using any sort of saw on the hard lines as you will never get the filings out of the line and would be putting the trans at risk.

I also have dumped all the QDs with the exceptions of the ones at the trans and they are going to go away also. It is on the list of things to do.

Back