• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removed my T-case drop

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I removed my T-case drop today because I was having vibes in my drivetrain. After I removed it I noticed that my front driveshaft had moved an inch. I guess that the vibes were coming from the front driveshaft be totally collapsed. I now have NO vibes at all.

Is it normal for that to happen when you lift a Cherokee?(the front driveshaft) I have a 2001 with a RE 3.5 super flex on it. The lift has been on it for about 3 months now. When the lift was first put on the Jeep sat higher than it does now, and I had no vibes. It settled and the vibes began. Can I expect to get vibes in a couple of months?

what are the correct angles of the front and rear driveshafts? That way if they aren't right I can get shims and correct them. Thanks for the help.

i only run a 3inch skyjacker. my front dshaft vibrates all the time.. and eats ujoints. so i take it out. when i go wheelin i put it in. . rides like a caddy with no front driveshaft. maybe someone can tell you of a replacement thats not custom. id like to know to

Silverstreak01 said:
i only run a 3inch skyjacker. my front dshaft vibrates all the time.. and eats ujoints. so i take it out. when i go wheelin i put it in. . rides like a caddy with no front driveshaft. maybe someone can tell you of a replacement thats not custom. id like to know to

You sure your slip is not bottomed out or frozen?

Semper Fi said:
I removed my T-case drop today because I was having vibes in my drivetrain. After I removed it I noticed that my front driveshaft had moved an inch. I guess that the vibes were coming from the front driveshaft be totally collapsed. I now have NO vibes at all.

Is it normal for that to happen when you lift a Cherokee?(the front driveshaft) I have a 2001 with a RE 3.5 super flex on it. The lift has been on it for about 3 months now. When the lift was first put on the Jeep sat higher than it does now, and I had no vibes. It settled and the vibes began. Can I expect to get vibes in a couple of months?

what are the correct angles of the front and rear driveshafts? That way if they aren't right I can get shims and correct them. Thanks for the help.

nah you won't expect to get vibes, i have a 98 lifted 5 inches and never put a t-case drop or shims in in. IMO the whole "you gotta get a t-case drop for 3" etc etc is a bunch of crap, YES xjs with the shorter tailshaft need the t-case drop (know this from actual hands on experience) but newer ones with the longer output are good to like 5 inches of lift. everybody just immediately spouts out that you need a tcase drop cuz thats what everyone else said too. as far as angles im not sure, it changes, just make sure that the angles aren't extreme or that the yokes are contacting and all should be good

Tugboat369 said:
I have a 4.5 lift no vibe / no drop. :yelclap:

I am getting redy to go up another 2 so now I will have to drop the t-case.
I'm pretty sure you will need an SYE for 6.5 inches. Why do something that is week when you can do something that will strenghten it?

Hey Jimbo1321, I'll sell my drop to you. I had a local shop make the drop for me out of 1 inch by I think 2 inch steel They worked great but I don't need them now. I have shims on order, they should be here tomorrow.

the original poster has a 2001 XJ which has a LOW PINION dana 30, this is probably why he is having front driveshaft issues.

anybody who is replying and has a high pinion, your experiences really arent gonna help this guy.

i have a high pinion. my drivshaft is still within its working length at 5" of lift

HTH

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
the original poster has a 2001 XJ which has a LOW PINION dana 30, this is probably why he is having front driveshaft issues.

anybody who is replying and has a high pinion, your experiences really arent gonna help this guy.

i have a high pinion. my drivshaft is still within its working length at 5" of lift

HTH

-Tim
X2...

When I first took the drop off I had no vibes at all, then they started to come back ,and now they are there all the time. I have shims on order and they should be in tomorrow. The guy I talked to at the local garage told me a 1 degree shim should be good. I don't know if he is right or not. I have asked, on here, a couple of times what the angles should be but I haven't gotten an answer, so I guess I have to take his word for it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

ok you used 6 degree shims but what angle were you shooting for? are they supposed to be at zero degrees to each other or what??? I also have a SYE kit and Tom Woods DS but I still have the vibes and will still have to shim. like I said I am starting with a one degree and going from there

Back