• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another engine swap question

play_in_the_mud

NAXJA Forum User
I just looked through about 20 pages of search and either i am an idiot (which is a definite possibility) or there isnt a post about this, so here i go. Went out wheeling yesterday, got a lil throttle happy and put a rod through the oil pan, bye bye engine. lol So i have come up with the idea of either putting another 4.0 HO back in it(prolly with some mild performance work), or a buddy of mine has a 318 out of a ram that i might be able to put in. Anyone know of anyone that has done a 318 swap into an XJ? Is it a whole lotta work except the wiring and the motor mounts and maybe some exhaust work? Thanks in advance for any helps guys.

Don't bother. It's a ton of work and the hassle isn't worth it. It would be far easier and cheaper to buy a 4.6 stroker long block from Titan Engines ($1900) and swap it straight in.

Any stroker can be a lot of work to get running as well. Plus do you need a stroker? are you dragging? One of the biggest misconceptions I see if people putting in lifts and tires and then losing power, and then immdiatly upgrading the motor when gears are the culprit. So perhaps if you need more power due to the need for some minor performace work then mabe put in a rebuilt non-stroker and do some gears.

Back