• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What cam would be the best.

tomhil

NAXJA Forum User
Im rebuilding my 4.0 and was wondering about cam shafts.

There is a cam at schuks, Crane cams truck power. It says not legal for street use? Im also not sure about vacume issues and reliability of it eather.

The motor will be standard, not to be a stocker.

Is there an above stock cam out there that you guys would recommend? In the price range of + or - 200 would be the best. Not sure on the prices of all the performance cams out there. The Crane cams one is 135$. Higher then this is ok.

Thanks.

Here's some cams(not all are now available) that Dino compiled:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm
I'm running the Mopar Performance P4529230AB in my stroker and love it--I don't think you can go wrong with Mopar since they know your Jeep(the 2/3" wide lobes are one example). I've heard good things about Comp Cams 68-231-4 and 68-232-4, the Isky 133125/26, and Hesco RVOB6; stay away from crane(although there might be some on clearance now).

I put a Comp Cam (Extreme 4x4) in my 96 engine.. I like the lower end torque..

With this cam you have to replace the valve springs and have the head machined to fit the new springs .. So it will cost you more than 200.00 . My final cost was 400.00

Good Luck

Nick

Yeah im pulling the engine today.

Im having the the engine machined anyway.

Im trying right now to fine a good rebuild kit,
Cam
Doble roller chain
And much better radiator since mines broke anyway.

Im also rebuilding the transmission and t case at the same time.
Also the D30, it needs new gears ext.

Making the suspension better, Snorkel, Roll cage, seats with 5 point.
Its going to be another big project.

Im just getting done with the f-100.

The bills are always going to be there:paperwork

But when is all done it will be time to have fun again:party:

Your rebuilding the D30???? Not a good idea. Swap in a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8. Much better investment.

If you going to rebuild the motor why not build a Stroker??

Check the JeepStrokers site for more info (link in sig).

Rebuilding the D30 would be less money and im not going to take the time to make a 44 fit. I just want to get back up to snuff and go.

Now about the stocker, it would really be cool, but. Is it a reliable way to go? Will it go 350,000 miles like my stock engine and would have gone farther if only i would have gotten mud in it.

Also, I know if i searched it i could probably find out but, fuel mileag is very important and i dont see an engine that breaths more air and fuel in then stock doing that good. I dont know maby im wrong.:dunno:

And just to get oversized pistons, turning and polishing the stock crank would be easyer on the wallet. I just spent 8 grand in my 72 ford f100 engine and trans.

Im also not sure on all the specielty things that you should do to the rest of the engine for it to work right.:dunno:

I can get a good rebuild kit for around 400$. i dont think i can fine a stroker kit for that. I havent searched that stuff so dunno.

But i agree a D44 would be cool and a stroker with it, heha! I havent got a total cost of everything eather. The transmission shift motors cost a lot with a rebuiled kit, the transfer case dunno what the mud mest up in there.

Im not sure you know better then me on the stroker:worship:. If you can tell me that it gets better then 17mpg, can go another 350+ thousand, wont cause any other problems with the rest of the jeep, and doesnt cost that much more i mite consider. Im trying to keep the engine around 1500$ or so.

thanks.

The stroker engine will last a long time unless you go crazy with the build. Unfortunatly though, the concept of a stroker for our Jeeps is still relatively new.. so there arent any real world examples of a Jeep Stroker lasting forever as the original engine can. If its built correctly it should outlive a stocker.

If you want more information i definetly recommend checking out the JeepStrokers site.

A dana 44 is a bolt in .. however they are getting hard to find... and more expensive.

There is some work involved with a 8.8 .. but either way.. your not throwing your money into something that just plain sucks.

If you dont plan on doing any wheeling, and just sticking with a stock engine .. the D30 should be fine.

Anything more than that your going to want to replace it with something better. Dont even consider rebuilding it .. Shit for $400 you could find a used D44.

yeah i dunno. there isnt much as far as being strong on a D30, but ive never had a problem with it and i use it harder then i should.

Ive accually hered more bad things about the D35. I have a 35c.

yeah i dunno. there isnt much as far as being strong on a D30, but ive never had a problem with it and i use it harder then i should.

Ive accually hered more bad things about the D35. I have a 35c.

You know what im sorry its my fault ... this whole time i thought you were talking about the D35. Not the D30. The D30 is a decent front axle.

Again my appologies.

The stroker engine will last a long time unless you go crazy with the build. Unfortunatly though, the concept of a stroker for our Jeeps is still relatively new.. so there arent any real world examples of a Jeep Stroker lasting forever as the original engine can. If its built correctly it should outlive a stocker.

If you want more information i definetly recommend checking out the JeepStrokers site.

A dana 44 is a bolt in .. however they are getting hard to find... and more expensive.

There is some work involved with a 8.8 .. but either way.. your not throwing your money into something that just plain sucks.

If you dont plan on doing any wheeling, and just sticking with a stock engine .. the D30 should be fine.

Anything more than that your going to want to replace it with something better. Dont even consider rebuilding it .. Shit for $400 you could find a used D44.

my 4.0 grenaded a piston on me, and i am building a stroker now.
all you need over a rebuild is the crank and rods (~$300). you are buying pistons, rings, seals and a cam anyway, and i assume having the head rebuilt, and are going to go with high quality internals (oil pump, timing set etc. anyway)

do it, you know you really want to.....

You know what im sorry its my fault ... this whole time i thought you were talking about the D35. Not the D30. The D30 is a decent front axle.

Again my appologies.

hehe thats ok. yeah i have worred about my d35 on the trail because of what ive hered. It would really suck for one of those c clips to brake. But ive never had it do anything bad. Here in yakima its hard to fine any axel that isnt ripped apart from someone els already.

I have seen a D44 for the front, but for a new and bolt in it was like 2500$. not sure on a rear one.

About the engine, what mpg does your stoker get. What was the HP increase and im of coures gessing you would hate to see me use a D35 with a stroker?

Im going to see what a Stroker kit would cost.

hehe thats ok. yeah i have worred about my d35 on the trail because of what ive hered. It would really suck for one of those c clips to brake. But ive never had it do anything bad. Here in yakima its hard to fine any axel that isnt ripped apart from someone els already.

I have seen a D44 for the front, but for a new and bolt in it was like 2500$. not sure on a rear one.

About the engine, what mpg does your stoker get. What was the HP increase and im of coures gessing you would hate to see me use a D35 with a stroker?

Im going to see what a Stroker kit would cost.

If you buy a kit its going to be much more $$$. If you peice it together you can cut the costs in half. There is a TON of info on the site .. just do some searches and check the FAQ's.

I dont personally have a stroker built yet .. im in the process, but from everyone who has talked on the subject gas mileage stayed about the same. Probably because your replacing a tired engine with one that can burn cleaner rebuilt etc...

My rule of thumb is that gas mileage will suffer .. thats because with the new found power of a stroker your going to WANT to put your foot down!

If you buy a kit its going to be much more $$$. If you peice it together you can cut the costs in half. There is a TON of info on the site .. just do some searches and check the FAQ's.

I dont personally have a stroker built yet .. im in the process, but from everyone who has talked on the subject gas mileage stayed about the same. Probably because your replacing a tired engine with one that can burn cleaner rebuilt etc...

My rule of thumb is that gas mileage will suffer .. thats because with the new found power of a stroker your going to WANT to put your foot down!

Oh sorry, BUT 1700 average for a 4.6 kit! Thats more then the hole rebuild would cost if i just left it a 4.0.

Yes im rebuilding the head, NEW valves, NEW springs, new new new. It has so many miles i dont want to mess around. UPS just gave me the trans rebuild kit. my other thead isnt getting much results but im still trying to fine a shift kit.

Yeah the stoker seems very far away with that price. sorry.

I am looking for a cam that works good for a standard motor. The MOPAR seems to be popular. just something to give some more spunk and sound, you know? This is my first 4.0 so im not sure on all the good stuff to look for. Im usually a ford, chevy, dodge, v8 person.

Ive always thought it be cool to put a 318 in my jeep:rolleyes: hehe.

Oh sorry, BUT 1700 average for a 4.6 kit! Thats more then the hole rebuild would cost if i just left it a 4.0.

Yes im rebuilding the head, NEW valves, NEW springs, new new new. It has so many miles i dont want to mess around. UPS just gave me the trans rebuild kit. my other thead isnt getting much results but im still trying to fine a shift kit.

Yeah the stoker seems very far away with that price. sorry.

I am looking for a cam that works good for a standard motor. The MOPAR seems to be popular. just something to give some more spunk and sound, you know? This is my first 4.0 so im not sure on all the good stuff to look for. Im usually a ford, chevy, dodge, v8 person.

Ive always thought it be cool to put a 318 in my jeep:rolleyes: hehe.
my whole build including machining is going to cost less than that.
if you are buying new new new, buy a 258 crank, 258 rods, and you are already getting new pistons.

how exactly does that cost $1700? the rebuild kits include all the "new new new" stuff you are already buying.

I built my entire stroker, had it running and was all the way to my second fluid change before I got to $1700.

It should not cost that much if you do it right. If I had the time I could have gotten it down to less money, but I had to grab the available pistons instead of looking for a set. I also reused my cam as it as an excellent wear pattern on it. Other than that, I used a reman crank with a warrenty, I found a set of 4.2L rods that were hardened and shot peened, then heat treated. Used new bearings and seals/gaskets. I even picked up a 00+ intake manifold and bored out my TB. You can do a lot of this on the cheap.

Mine has 15k miles on it. It would probably have another 10k, but it is currently being babysat in another state as when I moved I could not take it with me right then.

Thats the problem is that he is buying a kit and not peicing it together himself..

tomhil .. more power to you on the rebuild. Just use the stock cam if your on that much of a budget.

Thanks. This rebuild will take forever'n a day. Im still going to really try and find at least a full roller chain.

You would get more out of a good header and lower gears than a cam without upgrades to the intake/fuel system.

I was thinking of a Pace setter (bad spelling) Anyway, I like the design and its not to much money.

I have stock size tires so I wasnt planning on gears.

Do a search on headers. I have no experience with Pacesetter, but I think there are some bad comments on here about them.

You don't have to change tires to lower your gear ratio for more torque.

Back