• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend Project

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok so this weekend Im pulling the head on my 98 4.0 and getting it to a machine shop to get it checked for warp and cracking. Had a bad overheat after the head gasket went. While Im at it, I picked up a new exhaust manifold to replace the cracked one. And since Im that far into it, Im doing the intake gasket, plus a new thermostat and water pump.

Now for the questions. What out of these things will need gasket sealant and what type should I use? I know the head gasket gets nothing, with the #11 bolt getting some teflon paste. Its all the others Im not sure of.

Thanks.

Thanks for the tips, wouldnt have thought of putting anything on the valve cover since its a rubber gasket.

So its almost all back together. My next question pertains to the head gasket itself. First startup do I need to heat cycle it or anything? Or just drive it like normal? Metal gasket, so I wasnt sure.

Back