• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So whats the deal

BigDog

NAXJA Forum User
So I have heard a few things about remote res shocks and I'm just not to sure what to make of them. What are some of your opions of them? The pros and the cons and how much do they cost on average and is it worth the price?

Remote shock = remote cooling for race/high speed cycling

As a shock gets hot the oil inside can foam up...and it becomes less effective (called "fade"). The remote reservoir allows cooling away from the main shock body, much like a radiator does for your engine. The bigger the shock body, the more surface area for cooling. Multiple shocks distribute the friction load across the bank of shocks...so the chance of fade is lessened while getting the dampening effect desired. Multiple shocks are often valved softer individually to equal the valving of a normal, single shock.

Whether you 'want' or 'need' them is entirely up to you and your 'mission'.

HTH :)

Well I'm just out to hit trail not going for high speed desertruns or anything and I just looked at the price range looks like I'll be going with some normal shocks lol so with that said any one got some thoughts on what is good but at the same time a good price?
I don't want to run midas shocks or anything like that but at the same time don't want to break the bank on them either have other mods I want to do to the rig as well.

I loved the Bilstein 5125s on my last XJ. They got warm when I'd get going on some faster overland driving trails and would fade slightly, but as long as I took it easy they were fine. They usually run about $80 each. They're self-adjusting gas shocks.

Bilstein makes a good quality unit. If your lookin for somethin cheap "just to make it work" i got a great deal on RC 9000 shocks, but you get what you pay for, and for a DD, i have read the Bilstien 5125's are the best bang for the buck.

Any mono tube shock (like Bilsteins, OME, several others) are a large improvement over the typical "cheap shocks". I would argue that they (Bilsteins in my case) are one of the single best things I ever did for the "ride" of my XJ.

Michael

Back