• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radios...where to put them?

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
Besides the regular AM/FM/CD radio I want to put in a CB, scanner, and HF ham radio. Where can I put this stuff in a 2001 XJ??? I don't mind making holes in my dash as long as they don't detract from the overall appearance. It's a semi-stock XJ that I use on some trails, everyday driver and long trips with a person in the passenger seat on a semi-regular basis.

i have my CB on the passenger side of the console. Not sure where you can put 3 different radios you may have to get creative!

I hung my CB from the old power door lock plate.
CBinXJ002.jpg

That's pretty ingenious, but I've got a factory overhead console there. With some creativity I can mount one radio there, but I won't be able to see it very well without reclining the seat and moving it back.

I know that someone is going to say that some radios now have removable faceplates that could be mounted more easily, but I already have my radios and don't want to put a few thousand into new ones, especially the ham transeiver.

How big is the radio stack you want to install? Could you gut the glove box and install them through the old GB face,... or would that be enough room?

This is one of the later model XJs with airbags. Between that and the ducts that run behind the dash I don't think that'll work, but I'll do some measuring in the morning. There's something to be said for a Suburban at times like this. Four radios, three of them outside of the normal dash mounting. There just isn't much room in these things.

I put mine here.

DSCN0873.jpg

My CB is here:

DSCN0870.jpg

~James

NICE! Did you make the overhead and the one for the dash? What did you make them out of? It looks like it's fabricating time. If I put the scanner in one place, the ham in the other and the CB where kboyts put his then this might work!

Kboyts, what's the model of your Midland? It would mean buying a new CB, but they don't cost anywhere near what a trunking scanner or ham radio costs.

Thanks EVERYONE for your input. I love this forum!!!

If your not against buying a new cb,then just pick-up the cobra "handset" model.Mines mounted under the center concole under the E-brake lever,Zero space lost or used!This is all you need space for,plus the extra "boxes" are only 25$.I run the same handset in both my rigs.
Cobra75junctionac701-lg.jpg

Last edited:
If your not against buying a new cb,then just pick-up the cobra "handset" model.Mines mounted under the center concole under the E-brake lever,Zero space lost or used!This is all you need space for,plus the extra "boxes" are only 25$.I run the same handset in both my rigs.
Cobra75junctionac701-lg.jpg

Same radio I use.
http://www.cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=314&category_ID=30

You can save $25 by setting it up so you can move the mike and box from vehicle to vehicle.
I put a two wire polarized trailer plug on the power wires coming out of the box. The box sits under the driver's seat where the antenna wire and power plug, from the XJ, are located.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/1415582905/in/set-72157602104739933/
I get 10-amp plugs at the local FRY's Electronics store in the CB section.
Smaller gauge trailer plugs are available at any automotive store.

NICE! Did you make the overhead and the one for the dash? What did you make them out of? It looks like it's fabricating time. If I put the scanner in one place, the ham in the other and the CB where kboyts put his then this might work!

Kboyts, what's the model of your Midland? It would mean buying a new CB, but they don't cost anywhere near what a trunking scanner or ham radio costs.

Thanks EVERYONE for your input. I love this forum!!!

yeah, I made them both. I used 1/4" birch light ply, delrin plate, and some Carbon Fiber. Mostly wood, but there are a few little accents with the other materials here and there.

I am planning on using the Yaesu 7800 HAM, simply because of the detachable face plate. I am officially out of room for any more DIN sized gadgets, but the detachable/remote face of that radio will be easily doable.

~James

Well, if all else fails...you can do what I did. If you have no more room, and not enough material to fab something up, stick the radio you will use the LEAST underneath your seat. As long as you have an external speaker, you'll be golden.

I hardly ever use my CB on the highway, so it goes underneath my driver seat with the speaker to the left of the steering wheel and the mike mounted above the door frame. Works great as long as I don't have to change the channel much.

*EDIT* Before I get flamed, I want to say that my CB unit is big. Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Didn't have the option to mount it above the mirror. Another option that I ran for a while is mounting on the right side (passenger side) of the transmission tunnel, facing up.

I put my cb in my 97+ overhead center console. Just removed the garage door opener door and did a little trimming with the dremel. I made some brackets out of some sheet aluminum I had laying around and voila! It's a smaller radio and width wise fits perfectly.
P1010607.jpg

Mine is in my 95 so.... Yes. It was easy to install. I just got the overhead console and bracket from the JY. Cut two holes in the headliner (one for the very rear of the ohcc and enlarged the one for the dome light) installed the bracket where the original dome light was, wired it up ( the wire colors matched for me), remove the old sunvisor holders, and installed!

I cut a piece of like 1/8th in aluminum to mount on the visor latch posts. Then i mounted the CB to that. It holds really well, i've not had it bounce around at all. You really don't notice the aluminum either, i mean it's not gaudy. Only problem I had is that i broke my rear view off whenever i was mounting it. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow and stick it on here.

Back