• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrong rear main seal?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
the main bearing cap on my 2000 isn't cut all the way across for the "lip" on the rear main seal.

the first pic is mine:

the second is the one from the walkthrough.
Are there two different styles?

42.jpg

also, like an idiot I nicked the edge of the bearing a tiny bit with a screwdriver trying to pry the old seal out. Should I replace the bearing or leave it alone?

Hrmmm

well the seal shown in my image lists up to 2000, but the 2001 looks like this

bs40183.jpg

so either my jeep isn't a 2000 or the database isn't right. Naturally THAT one isn't in stock. AAAND it's 50 bucks

any tips on the nicked bearing? You can see it if you click the top pic in post 1, right in the center of the bearing on the seal side.

since this has come up about 1 maybe 2 times for searchers here's what I learned

autozone/checker/etc list the same RMS for the 1999 as they do the 2000.
my 2000 needs the style they list for the 2001 along with the correct oil pan gasket. the gasket has two little tabs at the rear that slot into the grooves on either side of the bearing cap

they don't stock the 2001 RMS and they sell the same gasket for both. the RMS is like $48

I got a new RMS from the dealer for $26 and they had 3 in stock, or the lower is identical to the upper so I guess you could buy two of the one they list and just use the uppers. I also got a new pan gasket for $51 (the wrong one was 30 at checker) I got two sets from the dealer as it gave me three stabs at getting the upper in and yep, I needed all three (since all 4 seals are the same, one to the lower and 3 tries at the upper)

so there you go.

Back